limited slip question

muzz

I hope someone can help me identify what kind of posi is in my car.I recently bought a 87 gn and I am trying to get it ready for the track this spring.I did not think it had a posi in it because it was spinning one wheel and didnt have the g80 code. When I removed the cover it has one but it is worn out.
I bought a powertrax for it, but it wont fit a posi case. I would rather repair whats in there if I can get the parts and return the powertrax.Is this a good idea? The powertrax only fits an open carrier.Can you get the parts for what I have anymore?
Also, the chipped ring gear doesnt look like its in the pattern.I was thinking about just letting it go for now and wait and see what happens.
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover everything.I work on cars for a living but racing is new to me.I sure am enjoying working on this one!

Well, I don't know what brand limited slip you have there. It may or may not be a rebuildable type. The best thing to do is order another one and swap it out. That being said, let me give you some advise on the Powertrax. Don't Do It!! I had an open rear in my car, and added the Powertrax unit. When it locks, it does have the traction of a spool. No slip. However, I probably don't have 500 miles on mine, and it has shown a tendency to break one tire loose on full throttle. It leaves with both pulling, but it will suddenly disengage a tire with a definite jolt. I have had both driver's and passenger's sides go up in tire smoke in an unpredictable fashion. I just don't think the unit can handle the torque running through it from these cars. I would imagine that it would be great in perhaps an s10 or something like that where traction was needed off road--like a farm yard or construction site. Not a rock climber or high torque full size k10 truck even. I am going to trash this thing if I keep running it, for sure. Not good. I am planning on buying a good, traditional locking dff in the near future. Thanks, Counterman.

Power trax was orginally designed for off road slow speed aplications, not drag racing. They work great off road though.

Thanks everyone for the responses.I am going to return the powertrax.I am still not sure on which one to buy.I will see if they will just let me exchange it unless there is a vendor here I can use instead.I just want something that is going to be predictable when I step on it. A coworker has one in his v8 s10 pickup and he loves it.I am sure it reacts better for him because its so much lighter.
I have two more pictures of the case I have if it will help identify it. Thanks

X2 on going with the Eaton, and you'll be needing a new Ring & Pinion set by the looks of first pic, good luck.

Kevin.