Like to add an intercooler and eletric fan on a 85

cthomas_02

I have an 85 GN and I would like to add an electric fan and intercooler. What would be involved in all this? Is it worth it? I have very little knowledge on this and all the help would be greatly appreciated. I know I would have to either have a toggle switch or have it programmed into the computer for the fans to kick on. I can wire it up no problem and I have done a little engine work. But I am new to the Buick world. I have a 2000 grand prix GTP and done all my own mods on that.
Thanks in Advance

At one time I had my fan triggered by a toggle switch but believe me when I say, sooner or later you will forget to turn it on. I currently have mine turn on with the ignition and a toggle that stays on all the time. I put the toggle there for when I'm working on the car and need the ignition on but don't want the fan draining the battery. Probably the best way is when/if you convert to the 86-87 ECM, have it trigger the fan the factory way like the later GNs did.

For an intercooler, Spearco makes a kit and you can have it installed and running in a day. IMO, anytime you run an intercooler, you need the throttle body on the pressure side as close to the intake as possible or you lose a lot of throttle response. I ended up doing this with my Spearco kit and it worked great. I now have the Ford Powerstroke intercooler and it's great. No overheating like other frontmounts, cheap, and very good cooling. Only problem is the install. It will take 3-4 entire days to install and you have to cut the car.

I forgot, the intercooler will cut nearly a second off 1/4 times so I would say it's definately worth it.

how much CFM would you suggest for a electric fan. i Dont plan on having the car on the road till next summer. So i am not to pressed for time. Is the Ford Powerstroke intercooler something you cant install if you take ur time and read the directions really well. Im sure i could if i take my time but is there a big difference in performance between the two. Thanks for all the help Cool 84

The stock 86-87 fan works good. You can find them in the junkyard on any Fiero with AC. I used to have 4 but I sold them all. I thnk they're ~$15 from the yard.

The powerstroke intercooler is really great. It doesn't block much air from your radiator because it's pretty thin but it's so big that the end tanks don't block the incoming air from the radiator. The install is pure hell. There are no directions, it wasn't made for these cars so there's no kit either. You have to make it fit and then go down to a diesel supply store and get all the hoses and clamps. Then to a muffler shop to get the pipe and bends. If you do it right, you can have everything for ~$400 vs $1,000 for the Spearco. I'm glad I did it but I'll never go through that install again.

The Spearco unit works good. Coolant temps were about 20-30 degrees higher than the Ford unit. It bolts right up, no cutting other than a small section behind the headlight. It has instructions and everything you need. I went 12.91@110mph with a crappy 60' and low boost with it. It's safe to say it will flow enough for 11s. The Spearco unit is easily recognized as a front mount intercooler while the Ford unit is so big, it almost looks like a regular radiator through the grill and might be passable to some people as a radiator if you're into looking stock from the outside.

where would you suggest buying the spearco unit from. I think that might be the best way only because like you said you wouldnt want to do the install agian..i am looking maybe for mid 12s. thats about good for me. But you know how that goes i will get there and want to go even faster so who knows...

Im really interested in hooking up a Ford powerstroke intercooler..even if it is hell to get going! Do you have any pics, advice, sites, or any info on doing this? And where is the best place to buy one cheap? Ebay, or junkyard?

I think I ordered mine for a 2001 Powerstroke. I was shocked when my dad ordered his recently and the price has gone up to $360 vs $270 for mine when new. E-bay usually has some for sale. I just found 3 of them at a muffler shop today, weird. The OEM units had the end tanks made of aluminum. The Ford relacements have plastic endtanks. I've had mine with plastic tanks well past 30psi and it held together.

Basically, you have to cut two 4" holes in the core support which takes the majority of the time. You have to trim the bumper shocks right where they bolt to the frame and a small part of the frame in that location. The plastic inner fenders have to cut a little which is not noticable when installed. Last, once the IC is in place, you have to cut the fiberglass header panel to make it fit. You lose your bright light adjusters but the use of a good spring will hold them pretty well.

Then you need to go to a muffler shop and order a pre-mandrel bent tailpipe section which should have the necessary bends and straights and is pretty cheap usually $40 or less. All you have to do is cut it. Then, off to the diesel shop to buy silicone intercooler hose and clamps and one reducer. Total cost at the diesel store will be ~$100.

Once the intercooler is fitted, the piping is actually very easy. I did mine in 45 minutes. Installation is terrible but once it's there, you'll never look back. It's one of the best things I've done to the car.

AWESOME! thanks for the info..I think im gonna go for it. Ive been looking on ebay...about 150-250 for the intercooler. My 85 GN is bone stock, what do you think it will pull quarter miles times, and what else should i do to my hot air buick???

Fuel pump first so you don't blow it up. I went 13.90@101 with the spearco IC, and a K&N. This was in the old days before I knew how to tune so I left the boost at 13psi. It definately had more in it.

Originally posted by turbogimp
hay Cool 84. how did you hook up the pipe to intake manifold? and do you have any pics? email me if you don't mind showing me. turbogimp@yahoo.com thanks

Originally I had the Spearco intercooler kit which has a bolt in elbow that goes where the turbo outlet used to go. When I went with the Ford unit, I used 3" piping so I went with an aluminum 3" elbow welded to the manifold that I found in a metal scrapyard. The Spearco unit necks down to 2" in one spot but it's a bolt in deal.

I've been promising pictures forever and I'm really trying to get them. Maybe I can take some of the manifold right now since it's only held on by two bolts since my pushrods were too long.

Whenever you get those pics, I would appreciate it if you sent them my way too!!:D (Idrivea2000stang@aol.com)

PS i dont drive a 2000 stang!