lifters

gn79

I need help! My engine is knocking is it is the lifters. I`m going to replace them, but my aly thing is that the rocker arms. Do they need to be trouqed or could I just use a stock to put them on or do I need a trouqe renach. Could I buy high rev lifters or the stock ones. I`m going to keep everything stock, cam, valves, etc. Which ones could be beater. And can even one give me some tips and how to do this. I was going to take it to a shop, but they be charging to much. Please help me out guys.

What happenned prior to the knock problem (headgasket problem, timing chain problem, any coolant in the oil etc)? Are you sure the knock isn't coming from the bottom of the engine? Also, you may get knock from the belt tensioner (I assume this is a 86 or 87 car). What mods do you have? I don't have a recommendation on lifter brand or type, but I have poston lifters that accompany my poston cam. Also, I've heard that a cracked rocker shaft will produce a lot of noise. You can replace your rocker shaft with a sealed power unit. Yes, the shaft needs to be torqued. Get your torque info from gnttype.org. good luck.

Originally posted by gn79
I need help! My engine is knocking is it is the lifters. I`m going to replace them, but my aly thing is that the rocker arms. Do they need to be trouqed or could I just use a stock to put them on or do I need a trouqe renach. Could I buy high rev lifters or the stock ones. I`m going to keep everything stock, cam, valves, etc. Which ones could be beater. And can even one give me some tips and how to do this. I was going to take it to a shop, but they be charging to much. Please help me out guys.

The thing that knocks is coming from the inside The TB. It sounds like a washing machice. Two machices have told me that one or two of the lifters are gone and to wait a little bit to replace them all. Also my knock gauge is going off, and the mods I have are just a ram air intake, headers, chip, 2.5 down pipe, 30lb injectors, FP regualtor, fuel pump. I am just starting to up grade.

Do a search on "knock" . you find a few things that maybe the cause other then lifters (eg: TC bolts,rocker shaft, cam sensor, etc. ) . Check the simple things first .I just had the same problem on a new rebuild .it drove me crazy and I ended up tearing it down . Found worn valve guides , and the DR timing chain rubbing on crank. lots of fun. :).