Let me introduce myself.....

Hi. Newbie to the site. I am trying to restore a 1972 Triumph Stag with a 1978 Buick v6 that someone thankfully donated along the way. Its a great little engine, but...not being one to leave well enough alone I though it needed a little help. I have a Offenhauser 167DP en route to go with the Edelbrock 600cfm I picked up on Craigslist.

I realize now that I might have jumped the gun. The 1979+ heads seem to open up a huge amount of options and the Edelbrock intake is less$$ than the used Offy I just bought!

Heres the deal: Money is kinda tight. I dont have the ability to do any modifications myself, and have never cracked the inside of an engine....BUT I'm willing to do anything once!

OPINIONS PLEASE:
Do I scrap the "shorty" heads and the new Offy, and buy some taller heads and an Edelbrock?? Which heads?? Do they Bolt on without a fuss?:confused:

Any and all advice appreciated.

Welcome!!
You will find lots of helpful people here.
a cast head part #8445 are the best factory heads. should be on '84 and later engines.
I've heard that the offy intakes are just ok and mainly for a street car, the edel intake is better.

Welcome to the board!

I think we all feel the money part right now, times are tight....

the offy is probably the best choice for the low port heads. and since you got the Dual Port, should really zip along nicely.

A.j.

I replied on the other board as well so this may be a repeat. The 79 and up heads will flow much better and I have pics if you need them. If you want to go the cheap way get the 4.1 Liter 4 barrel intake and port the snot out of it. It will look stock but will flow almost as well at an aftermarket intake. As far as a cam, you can get the 86-87 cam amd do much better but the E-brock cam is quite a bit bigger. It's up to you but if it was mine I do the heads, intake. and cam to make that light little b!tch fly down the road.

Thanks guys. Taller heads and Edel intake seem like the way to go. Maybe I can unload the new Offy for some funds.

In case the money is not there, is there some way to increase the flow with the '78 heads? Or are they a lost cause?

Where is the best place to pisk up some spare '79+ heads? What is a good price so I dont get taken??

Thanks

Add some info by using your user controls. Location and sig are good things so everyone knows a little more about you.

There's several members that may have the heads laying around and are willing to let them go at a reasonable price. Check the for sale section, evilbay, and craigslist for starters. If you can find a set of 8445 casting they're the ones everyone prefers but any of the high port heads will work. I've got a set of 293 castings and a set of 8445 as well. They're about the same except for the bridge accross the water passage at each end of the head.

I just put on an edel intake and 4bbl on my 83 otherwise stock engine. Very happy with the results.

Good to know. Thanks. Did you change the cam?

I think I will stick with the short heads and Offenhauser with Edel 600cfm and xhange the cam. I am wondering if I would have any clearance problems with an Edelbr cam or should I go with a stock 86/87 GN cam for the ease of install

No I haven't changed the cam yet, but am also looking at the edelbrock cam. I am pretty sure you will have no problem with clearance with the edelbrock cam. It is made for a stock engine for 79 and up engines I believe. But I would give edelbrock a phone call just to be sure. If you have any pictures post them. Triumphs with 3.8s are pretty bad ass.

Good to know. Thanks. Did you change the cam?

I think I will stick with the short heads and Offenhauser with Edel 600cfm and xhange the cam. I am wondering if I would have any clearance problems with an Edelbr cam or should I go with a stock 86/87 GN cam for the ease of install

As far as the cam question, it's been beat on may times. If the engine was rebuilt at some point and either the heads or block were surfaced then you may have problems. If everything was left stock then the E-brock cam should fit and not give you any problems. If you plan on having the heads redone then just have the guides cut down to the nub and add exhaust valves from a TTA 3.8. Them you can instal SBC umbrella seals on both sides.