leftover parts...where does this thing go?????

bar87

a whirlwind of doom
im in the midst of a timing chain swap, and i just realized i left a part out... its the stamped steel bowl-shaped thing that goes on the crank... im assuming that this goes BEHIND the timing cover, and the covers been on for a week already( i work VERY slow lol) so now i have a few questions....
1. does this thing indeed go behind the cover?
2.how important is it? can i just leave it out?
3.if i must put it in , which way does it go, bulge out or bulge in?
:confused: :eek: :mad:

Some cars had em, some didnt. Mine didnt. How important is it? Well, I think the crank gear is cut to space everything WITH the slinger in place. AM I sure? No, did I put one in MY car? no...

Cant really say for certain if it matters. Its job is to keep the majority of the oil splash off the rope seal..or..SLING the oil away. Hense the name oil-slinger :)

slinger

Put it on. You will sleep better. It is idiot proof. The large part of the bowl will face forward. The other way it will hit the chain.

i really dont wanna pull the cover back off if i can get away with it...i changed to the neoprene style front seal, will i have a leak without the slinger?

I left mine off once because I forgot about it. However If you are in the boost alot you will have oil flying everywhere. The slinger also keeps the majority of oil off the crank seal. It serves 2 purposes.

bar87,
I did the same thing you did about 5 years ago. When I was doing the timing chain I left that piece out. Did I go back and put it in..NO. You don't have to have it. Will you leak a little oil..Maybe. I don't have one on my motor now. Haven't had one on there for a long time. Will it hurt the motor with it out..NO. I don't have any problems.

Good luck.