LED turn signal lights

How Cheezy

Michigan = Illegal (Unauthorized/Improper Lighting), 2 points + $135 fine.

Re: How Cheezy

Originally posted by TT/A1233
All the more reason to get them.........

Re: Re: How Cheezy

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
All the more reason to get them.........
Absolutely. Keeps us in business and $ in the state coffers. Plus it benefits the insurance agents with the boost in rates with added points. Win-win situation all around...sell'em I say! :p

Re: How Cheezy

What would constitute authorized or proper lighting? DOT approval? No flame, just curiousity.

Does this mean any aftermarket foglights can be prosecuted?

Re: Re: How Cheezy

Originally posted by gn85
What would constitute authorized or proper lighting? DOT approval? No flame, just curiousity.

Does this mean any aftermarket foglights can be prosecuted?
Good question. Simple answer is that Michigan is VERY specific regarding lighting. Here, you may add either 1 set of fog or driving lamps DOT approved, 2 spot lamps and that's about it. Anything over and above factory original is illegal. If the vehicle (like my pickup) came with those as a factory option then they're permissible, if it's aftermarket technically it's illegal. A Michigan Attorney General opinion addresses this and basically states whatever isn't specifically allowed by the vehicle code is illegal if a vehicle is on public roads with these lights they must both covered and unlit. That's why many times you see 4x4's with a rack of lights with covers on them.

I understand what you are saying ,,but government autos should not get special treatment,,Police cars for example

What about all the new Yukon's, Tahoe's and Escalades that come with those directional mirrors factory?? I have them on my truck from the factory and I would be alittle p.o. ed if I got pulled over for them. I would fight that all the way, I can see a problem with the blue lights but these mirrors come factory either amber or red

If the vehicle (like my pickup) came with those as a factory option then they're permissible, if it's aftermarket technically it's illegal.

Yes, I know the lights on a light bar above the cab must be covered and I beleive also not be hooked up in Maryland.

I can imagine this going with a grain of salt though, seeing as the courts have clogged docketts to begin with. Just one of a thousand funny laws floating around out there.

Originally posted by gn85

seeing as the courts have clogged docketts to begin with.

Gee I wonder why..........................:)