Lean or Rich? WTH

Cale22

Doh!
Hey everyone,

Changed spark plugs a couple days ago and the tips were white. Strangely, my car is always run very rich (BLMs in the 109 range, O2s in the 870 range wot). I now have a problem where if I try to hit it a little from a stop, my car dies. Also my car always hesitates. When I watch my BLMs, it looks like the BLMs drop to 105 right when I stab the gas and then raises back up to around 109-115. So it looks as if the car is just running rich all around, but my spark plug tips are white? I don't use race gas or any kind of additive, just 92 octane. Any suggestions? Im scared to lower fuel pressure if the car is already lean at some points. BTW I have a trans+ and extender.

What is the TPS set at and what is your IAC reading?
Either of these can cause problems.

My TPS is set at .44, and my IAC is at 20. The slight hesitation and dying out is what is really annoying because I am always afraid to merge into traffic from a stop (car will die). I watched my BLMs today again after playing with the BLM correction on the extender chip, when im idling it sometimes stays at 128, and then right when I touch the throttle it goes down to 114 and then raises back up to 128. Seems like it goes rich right at the point of firing which causes the car to die. I dunno im puzzled.

are our IAC count at idle in park with the car warmed up.if so they are to high,what's the rpm's at idle.
Ed

The idle RPMs are at about 900. The IAC 20 is when the car is warmed up and in park after it goes into closed loop idle.

your idle rpm should be about 800-850 in park and iac at 0-10 idle warm,do a search on adj idle air screw and iac .
Ed

Originally posted by Cale22
Hey everyone,

Changed spark plugs a couple days ago and the tips were white. Strangely, my car is always run very rich (BLMs in the 109 range, O2s in the 870 range wot). I now have a problem where if I try to hit it a little from a stop, my car dies. Also my car always hesitates. When I watch my BLMs, it looks like the BLMs drop to 105 right when I stab the gas and then raises back up to around 109-115. So it looks as if the car is just running rich all around, but my spark plug tips are white? I don't use race gas or any kind of additive, just 92 octane. Any suggestions? Im scared to lower fuel pressure if the car is already lean at some points. BTW I have a trans+ and extender.

No your not actually running rich.
The BLs are correcting things back to 14.7 in closed loop. So the plugs are burning correctly.
The calibration / O2 sensor / what ever, are trying to cause the engine to run rich, but the computer is compensating for that error.

If you have a T+ then just slightly lean things. Unless of course you car just runs best in tune you've got.

The latest formulas of fuel burn with an absolute min amount of ash, which is what taints the porclean.

Never tune with fuel pressure, set it to specs and leave it alone.
Unless you start leaning lean, and then check it, and if it dropped then figure out why.