Leaking pressure switch ????

burnout

Well my powermaster is acting up and seems like i'am not the only one. I went through the trouble tree and didn't get much. Whats happing is you will go to stop and have a hard pedal and than it will catch and throw you through the window. My brake light is not working when you key up or when you press the parking brake. I pulled the pressure switch connector and found it soaked with brake fluid. It seems to be leaking out the top of the switch. Is this a common problem? The motor does not cycle when you pump down the system but I know the motor works because I jumped it out through the pressure switch connector. I just wanted to ask some questions before I start throwing money at this thing.

Thanks, Dave

The switch can leak, yes. But before you change it, make sure the PM isn't overserviced.

It's not like your typical master cylinder. In order to properly fill it, you MUST pump the unit down by depressing the brake until it gets hard. Then you check the fluid.

When I was a noob I made the mistake of not pumping down the PM and proceeded to top off the reservoir. Then when i stepped on the pedal all of that flid came out and got on the switch....made it look like it was leaking. Found out after I replaced it b/c I thought it was leaking...the 2nd switch also was covered in fluid. Deserviced the bowl, wiped off the swithc, no more problems.

Just a tidbit of info I thought I'd share.

I pumped the system down and didn't get a hard pedal it kind of stayed the same. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks.

Hhhmm....are you doing this with the car shut off? Because if not the motor will sense a drop in pressure and kick on.

On my car, it takes 10-15 pumps of the pedal with the ignition off. Then the pedal gets rock hard and stiff. Like when a PM unit fails on you in the middle of a race. :eek:

Well my powermaster is acting up and seems like i'am not the only one. I went through the trouble tree and didn't get much. Whats happing is you will go to stop and have a hard pedal and than it will catch and throw you through the window. My brake light is not working when you key up or when you press the parking brake. I pulled the pressure switch connector and found it soaked with brake fluid. It seems to be leaking out the top of the switch. Is this a common problem? The motor does not cycle when you pump down the system but I know the motor works because I jumped it out through the pressure switch connector. I just wanted to ask some questions before I start throwing money at this thing.

Thanks, Dave

I had the same problem with the switch leaking. I replaced BOTH the accumulator ball and the pressure switch. That cured the problem.

I did it with the car off. What i'am thinking is if the switch is leaking the pedal won't get hard when i'am trying to pump the system down. As soon as I get done doing brakes on the 65 on going to get back to the GN. I think I will do the same thing you did mark.

Thanks, Dave