LC-1 Wide band ground location?

Harvey Mushman

Hello all. I have been having issues with my LC-1 signal. First it would be all over the place, sometimes reading well and most of the time pegged lean when I was driving around. So I soldered the connections and this took care of the problem with it pegging lean randomly but I am still getting erratic readings and the occasional random spike lean, overall most of the time it agrees with narrow band but there is still a lot of noise. I am thinking my ground is not good enough, I have it grounded to the firewall and the firewall at the same location I ground back to the cylinder head.

Any suggestions on a different location? Maybe straight to the neg cable?? Thank you in advance

Did you route the controller near the ignition coil pack? If so, route it underneath the coilpak. The stand it is bolted to is grounded. The ground their will shield the controller. Other than that, I grounded it the same way you did, firewall and intake manifold.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Actually I did stuff under (somewhat behind) the coil pack, down near the top of the bell housing. Hmm, well I am not sure, maybe I need to filter the signal a little more. I am just still seeing an occasional lean spike that is worrying me...

put it directly underneath the coil pak between the 2 leg stand and the doghouse. The entire intake manifold is grounded as well.

The back of the head is the best place, same location as the ECM grounds and less potential for ground offsets.

The LC-1 will show what appears to be lean spikes when it is picking up noise. You must ground it to the block, not the firewall. Also route any cables away from ignition components, especially spark plug wires.

Thanks for the info, I still have not had a chance to mess with it but I plan on redoing the grounds and seems like that will be the issue.

Thanks!

Also, just crimp and/or solder all three grounds to one lug (blue, green, and white wires). It will be fine that way. If you need a place to ground, you can always route them down the rear passenger firewall area and use one if the transmission bell housing bolts. They go right into the block.