Late model GM stereos that will fit Turbo Regals

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Looking for a factory GM CD player for my GN. What late model car stereo will bolt right in? I know Kirban offers them once in a while but what cars did they come out of? Thanks!

You can get a late model cavalier or camaro cd player. 97-99 they have the cooling fans on the cd motor. I have a cd player out of a early to mid nineties cadillac w/ bose. worked well until the freakin cd plyer took a crap. :mad:

Check the interior picture of my GN in the link below. The CD player is the exact size as the factory radio and bolted right in. The grey buttons match the interior too. It came out of an early 90's S10 Blazer 4x4.

HTH

Basically, any non-bose, GM 1.5 din size delco radio will directly "bolt in" and work given you rewire for the two different styles of electrical connectors GM used.

The two I know that are favorites are the Pontiac in-dash CD player with 7-band EQ used in various pontiac cars from '94-up and the Chevrolet / Olds Delco CD theft lock with auto tone (auto eq) and speed compensated volume control; these were typically used in 95 or 96-up chevy and olds cars and maybe some buicks.

Any of the older CD players like the delco loc II's and others will be hard to find with a flawlessly working CD player. Even some of the aforementioned Pontiac CD players have problems with the CD loading mechanisms if you get an earlier one. I have not seen, nor heard of any of the "newer" delco chevy/olds theft loc cd players with auto tone and SCV having CD player problems as of yet but I am sure there are some.

The biggest problem with the older players, as well as the earlier versions of the ones I mentioned is that they don't have cooling fans. Most of these have a tendancy to "overheat" causing the failures. If you get ahold of a "good" one I recommend going to your local radio shack and purchasing a CPU cooling fan and wiring it up to ignition power and mounting it in a location where it can circulate air around the radio unit. A good way to tell if your radio is overheating is to eject the cd after it has been playing for about 30 minutes with the instrument lights (illumination) on and see if it is hot to the touch. The hottest these units should get a cd normally is maybe luk warm at the most.

The Bose-equipped Delco units will work but you will also need to install the bose's speaker amps in your car as well. This can be done by taking the seperate amps out of each bose speaker enclosure and then mounting them in your car or even behind the radio in the regal because there is enough room. A standard aftermarket amp will not run directly off the bose deck, it must run off the bose amp using a speaker-line input converter. The bose deck output speaker signal from the radio is incompatible will most aftermarket amplifiers and I am pretty sure is unique only to the bose amp line.

Hope this helps.

I know to each his own, but why would you want an older, inferior CD player in your car when you can get a new one with a face plate to make it fit right? If you want to keep it stock, keep the original radio in, but if you want a CD player, get the latest. My Kenwood (see sig below) was around $400 when new in 1998, and that was an awesome radio, but even that can't compare to the very latest being offered now. I want .mp3 playback in mine. Holds 120 or so songs on a single CD.

mark, they make th eadaptor harnessess to adapt our connector to the new style GM radios.. So its plug n play. My radio is out of a 2002 Camaro Monsoon woith cd and LOVE it..

So Frank, the radio itself was a bolt-in and what car did it come out of? Where did you find yours? And who is the "they" that makes the adapter?

Turbo Ter, I want to go for a factory look with the stereo, I hate the way the aftermarket stereos look with all their bells and whistles. (funky displays, etc)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
try here mark. U will also need an antenna adaptor too. My radio is out of a 2002 Camaro
Got it on ebay. Brand new:) ebay also has the adaptors..
http://www.installer.com/rocs.html

DAMN, a buddy was gonna give me his CD player from his 99 GTP, but I douldn't find a plug-and-play adapter. Is this it?