Late 80s Chrysler LEBARON turbo power!!!

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Out of morbid curiosity, does anybody have any experience with the LeBaron Turbos from the late 80s? I only ask because I've seen an '88 LeBaron Convertible for sale up here with the 2.2 turbo. I've heard of a FEW (very few) people making these things pretty fast. I'm gonna go hunt down a Dodge board, but since all the other boards come here for help, I figured this is where I'd start. Not looking for a GN replacement, not by a long shot. But I figured it'd be a fun car for the girlfriend (she wants a drop top) and something cheap and turbo powered that I could mess with without a whole lot of $$$ invested. Plus it'd be a FUN rice killin' sleeper I think.
ANYway, has anybody messed with these first hand? Or know anybody who has?
Secondly, how's the reliability in general on these badboys? I don't want a 50k mile/year daily driver, but I don't want something to be out of commission 1/2 the time either.
As far as mods go, I'm assuming their boost is mechanically controlled as well, and not all computer nonsense like newer cars? I'd just look to crank the boost up until I broke something, than turn it down a bit.
Thanks a lot for any info, I'm' doing research now, but just figured I'd get any experiences from the TR WERLD!!! Thanks! :cool:

302hp

Buddy of mine just ran a 12.69@106 with his mini van. Dynoed at 302 hp at the wheels. Go for it.

is that the one i've seen on the internet killing a camero?

i think that would be the absolute best sleeper ever made.

No, that one is Paul. He has run 12.61 with his van.
There is one more running 12.84
So 3 big ugly vans running in the 12's

(mine only runs 14.87 on street tires.)

I had this same (evil) thought the other day when I passed a Dodge/Chrysler turbo WOODY sedan in the wrecking yard. Puke green with the full faux wood kit on the body.

That's it EXACTLY! I happened to be out in that same yard today and looked at it again. It's a Town and Country Turbo Woody wagon. Ugliest POS I've ever seen (from a major car manufacturer)! I love the work that guy's done with his. Not a 1/4 mile terror but I'll bet it's fun to surprise people with! What a sleeper!

Awesome info, thanks a lot guys!
I found my way over to www.turbododge.com It's a pretty awesome site, a lot of cool people. One of the first posts I read had a kid going 14s with about $1k total into his ride (including the car, haha) I was impressed by that. Then I saw a bunch running in the 12s...which is nuts. I've been VERY impressed with what I've read, and I think it'd be a cool car to check out and tweak for the girlfriend. Thanks again for the info! :cool: