Last Grand National Produced Vin

Adam G

Does anyone know the vin number, or at least the last 5 characters, of the last Grand National produced - the one featured in the movie Black Air.

Also, is there any online articles or stories about that car and the gentleman that owns it?

Gotta say guys, I belong to several other sites like this one, (Team Chevelle & NastyZ28), for the other classic cars I own, but there's without a doubt, a sense of 'harshness' with many replies on this site. And this is not just my opinion, read through some of the threads. Not sure why this is, perhaps it's the type of individuals that are interested in Grand Nationals, (although I am one of them having purchased one brand new), or perhaps the average age category - as it seems Grand Nationals draw a younger audience and enthusiast, vs. the other cars I own.

Or perhaps the two gentlemen that responded to my posting were just having a bad day. So sorry if that was the case, perhaps you will feel better within your 'safe space'........

BTW, my last sentence, while perhaps making me look hypocritical, seems more appropriate of a remark for this site.

no harshness you posted here so you have a smartphone or a laptop computer you could have easily searched for it and google is great for that ..the search on this site is down and when it was up it really didn't work well but if you go to google and type what you want iE "last buick GN " you'll find the link i posted and you'll also find links to youtube vids and mag articles on the car you asked about
if you need to search this site goto google and type turbobuick after what you want and that will help search for content from this site

oh and safe space.. I was born when Johnson was in office and dont need safe space. in 2016 google should not be something you are unaware of

Last edited:
no harshness you posted here so you have a smartphone or a laptop computer you could have easily searched for it and google is great for that ..the search on this site is down and when it was up it really didn't work well but if you go to google and type what you want iE "last buick GN " you'll find the link i posted and you'll also find links to youtube vids and mag articles on the car you asked about
if you need to search this site goto google and type turbobuick after what you want and that will help search for content from this site

oh and safe space.. Im as old as you and dont need safe space but you're not so old that google should be something you are unaware of

Right? If you can navigate a forum to post etc. You can surely type "Last grand national" in google which is exactly what I would've done to find the info you requested just like pacecarta did.

If the total amount of Regals produced in 1987 was 65,289 I assume that 37,699 were non turbo cars, (65,289 – 27,590), or all other variants of the Regal model. Does that seem about right?

Also, (and I searched online but could not find this information), does anyone know, (approximately), how many Regals were being produced per day back in ’87? I assume production shifts ran 24/7 on a consistent basis.

in 87 the model year was extended , normal production year was sept 1 1986 through aug31 1987
they built only GNs after sept 1 1987 through dec 11,1987
they also had other Gbody models rolling down the line not just regal

why dont we cut to the chase and ask ..just what are you trying to find out ?
looks like you're trying to nail a vin to a specific day
the cowl tag info can narrow it to the week and month , many of the parts have a a date coded into them (the electric fan for one) . there should be a build sheet in driver door to narrow it to the day it was assembled

I rated the dislike by the way Adam not all gn owners/enthusiasts are like the "rude nature" Google hasn't allways corroporated 4 me when im hunting 4 something also just wanna say welcome to the site there is a gold mine of knowledge on these posts and the members here but you do have to have a bit of patience good luck on your hunt

The reason for my questions are that I am in the process of trying to buy back, (hopefully), my original GN which I purchased new and sold in the early 90's - the usual story of life's priorities changing.

I have only the VIN, which based on the information provided, indicates my former car as an early to mid November build I assume - VIN ends in 61498.

Thanks for the additional information.

Does anyone know the vin number, or at least the last 5 characters, of the last Grand National produced - the one featured in the movie Black Air.

Also, is there any online articles or stories about that car and the gentleman that owns it?
Adam, the last digits are 65288 so it makes sense that your former car was built sometime in November or December of '87. --> Also, I "pm"ed you…

Claude.

Last edited:
The reason for my questions are that I am in the process of trying to buy back, (hopefully), my original GN which I purchased new and sold in the early 90's - the usual story of life's priorities changing.

I have only the VIN, which based on the information provided, indicates my former car as an early to mid November build I assume - VIN ends in 61498.

Thanks for the additional information.
Good luck with your search Adam. Hopefully it's still around.

my vin on my car ends with 465278 and was built in 12/87. So close to the end. Would this mean there was just 10 more GNs after mine? I am really kind of curious how the vin numbers work. Are they in sequence so built 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 and then the last one being number 465288? Also would they all be grand nationals or would some be Regals with other trim levels?

Last edited: