Largest size tires that will fit on a factory

WARBIRD89

Faster and Faster untill
I was wondering if anyone to tell me, what is the largest size tires that will fit on a factory set of steel Grand National rims 15in ? With no rub.... Front and rear. I am presently running Welds aluminum racing only five stars 10" rear 3.5" front, just not good for the street in city driving,so I purchased a set of factory 87 rims.

Thanks
Steve
1987 g/n

Big Question

There have been many discussions on this subject.
Many different tire sizes mentioned.

Personally, I run 255/60/15 all the way around on the factory rims. I love the ride with these. Big tire, good traction/contact patch, but just a little wide for the factory 7" rim. I plan on getting 8" rims someday to tighten up the handling. Looks great to. One day I will get a digital camera.

No problem with rubbing in the rear. Front gives a slight rubbing when backing up and turning the wheel all the way in either direction. Rubs the outside of the frame behind the control arms. Haven't noticed it rubbing yet going forward (strange but true). If I am careful in turning, it doesn't rub.
I can deal with it.

Tires

235 60 15 BFG radials on the front and same size in a drag radial on the rear for me.

There are a few companies around that will widen the stock GN wheel. Then you can run a 275/50-15 on the back and 235/60-15 on the front. Works and looks perfect. (although a bit heavy)

Bob

I am running 245-50-15 in front and Nitto 275 50 15 Drag Radials in back. No rubbing. stock rim (not widened).

I've seen a guy with a 295/50/15 squeezed on a stock wheel.. Wasn't very pretty but it worked (or so he said)

This is a 275/50/15 M/T ET Street. I love this tire way better than the BFG.

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 415
Underboost said:
This is a 275/50/15 M/T ET Street. I love this tire way better than the BFG.

Those are stock 7" wide GM wheel correct??? Looks great!!! I've been thinking about buying a pair of those tires, now that I know that they will fit on a stock 7" wheel, there's nothing holding me back. Do you know who has the best price?

Thanks,

I have the BF Goodrich 275/28 inch tall Drag Radials on my Welds and after a long trip because of moving last week to a different area with some excess weight in the trunk the tire bent a small part of the quarter panel straight up.Its only about 3 inches though.I think if I had more then 15 psi of pressure in my air bags that would not have happened but I forgot to check it.I put it up to 35 psi and it raised the back about 2 inches which should do the trick hopefully.Thats the first time ever I had a problem with a big tire on my Turbo Regal.

James West said:
Those are stock 7" wide GM wheel correct??? Looks great!!! I've been thinking about buying a pair of those tires, now that I know that they will fit on a stock 7" wheel, there's nothing holding me back. Do you know who has the best price?

Thanks,

Yes a stock 7'' wide Gm Wheel. I'm not sure on the best price I bought mine at Big O. I think it was like $390.

235/60's on front, 275/50's on back. All on factory, unwidened rims. No rubbing, no spacers, correct height so speedo is accurate. Yeah the 275/50's are a bit wide for a 7 inch rim.....but they look so damn mean..and are wearing well too!