Larger u-joints

vacuum 6

I have chuckers
I have ~93K miles on the car, ~1200 on the new motor, about ~2000 on the trans. Last time at the track it ran 11.47 @ 119.96, I think its time to replace the u-joints. Who sells the larger ones (still using the stock drive shaft)?

Npe..

I have ~93K miles on the car, ~1200 on the new motor, about ~2000 on the trans. Last time at the track it ran 11.47 @ 119.96, I think its time to replace the u-joints. Who sells the larger ones (still using the stock drive shaft)?

same shaft will require the same size joints. You may find the HD joints from NAPA, etc, to be represented as "stronger."
I use joints that have no grease zerks, as the zerk hole can promote cracks.
If you want larger joints, then the yokes have to be changed on both ends of the shaft. The rear end and trans yokes also must be changed. I get mine from Mark Williams...NOT cheap.
I'd not change all this out, and leave the stock d/s tube. That's usually the weak link...
At the 11.50 range, I'd add a driveshaft loop, and change to the HD joints, and call it good.
MAKE SURE that the shaft is not bent.

I put a Brian Hofer trans in about a month and half ago...replaced my 133k mile oem u-joints with the NAPA "HD" U-Joints...just like you said the drive shaft ended up being the new weak link: it twisted into front half/rear half.

Needless to say I now have a 3.5" PTS aluminium shaft with cryo treated yolk and joints.

i had a incident with a driveshaft at 122 mph not good lucky to be walking. i had the ends cut off and installed a ss 1350 series slip yoke from Jegs and a new shaft made. Better safe then sorry.

I agree with Tony. I paid around $300 bucks for a steel 3.5" shaft. You have to invest in a good drive shaft because it will fvck up your car and maybe you if it breaks.

I have the HD 1350 joints. No issues.....

I agree with Tony. I paid around $300 bucks for a steel 3.5" shaft. You have to invest in a good drive shaft because it will fvck up your car and maybe you if it breaks.

I have the HD 1350 joints. No issues.....

+3.

New 3.5" DS and 1350 joints with appropriate yokes. Do it. Do not screw around with the stock crap. It wasn't made for your HP level. If you haven't ever seen a DS failure it is ugly. DS Loop does not mean stuff doesn't tear apart. I have seen one twisted drive shaft tear up a floor and take out a transmission case, and cut a tire down at 120+ mph.

I got lucky...we were troubleshooting a non-related problem and mine broke in the driveway while torquing the car trying to re-create a problem experienced under load. Five minutes earlier I was going 75 miles an hour on a heavily traveled road.

Spicer makes a 1350 slip yoke 3-3-4281X to fit 200r4/350/700r4...27 spline ,$60 approx.If you can't find local ,I have it in stock.1350 Diff yoke was a Gm produced part for a 8.5 PU, but I don't have a part number.I'm sure aftermarket has it available in $100 range.$200 will build 3.5" .083 wall steel shaft balanced plus $20 each for GOOD u joints.Good investment for strong car

Louie,
nice to meet you at Funday Sunday recently.
Where is Island Driveline ?
What should I expect too spend for a good shaft ready to go as you describe?

Spicer makes a 1350 slip yoke 3-3-4281X to fit 200r4/350/700r4...27 spline ,$60 approx.If you can't find local ,I have it in stock.1350 Diff yoke was a Gm produced part for a 8.5 PU, but I don't have a part number.I'm sure aftermarket has it available in $100 range.$200 will build 3.5" .083 wall steel shaft balanced plus $20 each for GOOD u joints.Good investment for strong car

Digging up old threads...

The Spicer 3-3-4281X will NOT work in our cars, the snout that goes into the trans is 4.5", The factory 3R GN slip yoke is 3 5/8ths. I have a 3-3-4281X I can't use if someone wants to buy it.

Digging up old threads...

The Spicer 3-3-4281X will NOT work in our cars, the snout that goes into the trans is 4.5", The factory 3R GN slip yoke is 3 5/8ths. I have a 3-3-4281X I can't use if someone wants to buy it.

Not exactly true ...yoke will work if driveshaft is cut to proper length when you install a 1350 yoke on tube....or barrell of slip yoke can be cut with a hacksaw to the 3 5/8 if you install it on stock driveshaft using a conversion u joint, but this kind of defeats the the bigger -is- better concept.

Makes NO sense to have to cut the yoke. The yoke would only work if it's cut, regardless of driveshaft length, or you will have almost 1" of exposed shaft/bearing surface collecting dust and dirt.

I posted that to warn others that it's not a direct STOCK replacement for the GM 7812557 3R/Saginaw part that came on the cars from the factory. I need to replace mine due to a lot of wear, pic below.

Luckily Drivetrain America is taking this one back, and sending me the correct one, and pricematched Denny's.
7812557 3R Series Transmission Slip Yoke

I have gotten flat out AMAZING service from them. The order shipped less than an hour after I submitted the order, and the support after the sale due to my not doing complete research had been fantastic too. Stellar customer service!

P1020255.jpg

I remember watching shane twist his drive shaft in the rosewood T at the rockingham buick meet ... alot of carnage