Large Rear sway bar Mounting options??

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Alright, figured out my clunk in the rear end, appears to be my sway bar mounting method. I have UMI tubular control arms, and the big rear sway bar (not sure if this is the HR bar, or what, it's been a while...it's big though)

heres the pics of how it was bolted, obviously I need larger diameter bolts to fill the holes better, what about putting a rubber washer between the sway bar, and control arm???? any problems w/ doing that? If I layed under the car, I could push up on the bar and get slight movement from it, making a clunk noise while pulling in driveways, or any time the car twisted..
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG

thanks!

That looks like an ATR sway bar. There is nothing wrong with it, its heavy as hell but it works. Its not the method it is mounted that causes that. Its using small bolts that allow that bar to move around it will break them. Lowes has Grade 8 bolts in 1/2 and 5/8 thickness. Get the biggest ones that will fit in the hole. Drill the holes bigger on the control arm if you have to so the holes are the same size. I would use lock washers on all points not the ones you have there. Make sure they are all tight, that bar should not be able to move. What happens is the frame wants to flex when you put your foot in it, the bar counteracts that by using that flex to put more pressure on the lower control arms to keep traction.

I had to do all of this on my Dads GN. Now it squats and goes which is what it is designed to do. I would check all mounting points on the arms and shocks and make sure they are tight. It makes a big difference. That clunk you hear means it's loose.

thanks Reggie. I can't believe I over looked this, it's been like that for 3-4 years....time to make it right.