Laptop??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Compaq Presario R3000 was working just fine.[XP Home]. Loaded a new version of EFILIVE.. Crashed..??
Keeps rebooting. Finally got it to boot in safe. Then, got it to boot normally, but get error messages that say I'll lose any materials added once it's turned off.

Have tried every way I know to get this thing corrected, up to dumping and reloading and dumping the EFI program. [EFI will d/l just fine, but will shoot an error that the tune or the scan part of the program is "not found".]
Restore won't allow me to choose an earlier date, except for just a few minutes B4 I try. Only today's date is hilited on the Nov calendar. Cannot choose another month or date.

Here are the errors I get:
1. Cannot load locally stored profile.
2. Cannot find the local profile and is using temporary profile.
NE1 have a suggestion?
Dump the system and start over??
6 hrs into this and I'm about to use this thing as a wheel chock.:mad:

You know todays saying if it dont work Toss it & buy another :p

I had almost same issue with kids computer. I was spiining my wheels & decided full restore. Next I Yanked that mother out of the wall after & put it on Clist for sale.

try this

Create a New User Account
To create a new user account, follow these steps:
Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.
After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.
Log on as Administrator.
On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.
Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

The last time the hard drive on my computer, also a PC running Windows XP Home was dangerously low on storage space I started to delete some programs and photos that I no longer needed but this didn't seem to help. I decided to do a restore and also found that there were no dates highlighted to go back to. There was a section where you could type in your own date and that's what I did and the restore function worked. Hopefully it'll take care of your problem.

Now, it won't even boot to Windows.. Keeps rebooting, then shutting down.
6pack.. Couldn't get to the log on screen.
I guess it's time to take it to a pro... I can clean injs, cuss like a sailor, but can't fix this f%$^&ed up computer!
Thanks for the responses....

Finally..

got it to boot up. [Could not get safe mode to allow a restore, so I tried the "normal startup" choice, off of F8 toggle. That allowed the boot w/ the temp profile popups]
Once done, I used your instructions.
"In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer."

Tried the reboot several times. Has worked every time.:cool:
Evidently, the original user acct got corrupted?? How would/could this happen??
When booting up, I have to make a choice between the original user name, and the new name, B4 the boot will continue.
How do I set it so the boot is continous? Can I delete the original user name??
Since I dumped the EFILIVE tuning program, would it be OK to reload it? Any special precautions?

Thanks for the help!:D

got it to boot up. [Could not get safe mode to allow a restore, so I tried the "normal startup" choice, off of F8 toggle. That allowed the boot w/ the temp profile popups]
Once done, I used your instructions.
"In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer."

Tried the reboot several times. Has worked every time.:cool:
Evidently, the original user acct got corrupted?? How would/could this happen??
When booting up, I have to make a choice between the original user name, and the new name, B4 the boot will continue.
How do I set it so the boot is continous? Can I delete the original user name??
Since I dumped the EFILIVE tuning program, would it be OK to reload it? Any special precautions?

Thanks for the help!:D

Boot up with the new username and then go into control panel and delete the old user name!

"stb"..

again!:mad:
This time I found the problem w/ some sort of DUMB luck.
Seems as tho there's a "missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\system" file.
I tried using the restore disc.
It says to hit the "R" key once the disc has loaded, and Windoz is started. This supposedly starts the "repair" process.
However, once I hit "R", it asks me for what version of Windoz I want to choose. [Choice only allows for 1 letter, or number.] I have no list to choose from, and don't have a clue as to where to look...
I'm about to do a complete reinstall, however that screen tells me that the disc has old versions of XP.
Also, I think I'd lose all other programs when I do that??
NE ideas as to what/where I should go next?? [Short of the dumpster??]