lacquer paint. what wax is best for removing oxidation?

You need to take it somewhere to a detail place that can use a orbital buffer to bring the paint back to new.
What they will do in a few hours will take you a entire weekend by hand.
My silver car was faded really bad about 4 years ago, i spent 100.00 and the guy spent 5 hours bring the paint back up to snuff.
Before taking it in, i attempted by hand to use some Mequiers cleaner to take out the oxidation, it worked but i spent about an hour on 1/2 of the decklid.

He did the work with 3 different style orbital pads, and it turned out 10 times better than i could have done.
Plus for the amount of money i spent it was worth 1/2 the day to sit back and do something else.
If your going to do it by hand, get ready for tennis elbow!

BW

ulose2av6 said:
anyone recommend wax for lacquer paint. i dont think lacquer had any clear coat. thanks
--------------------------------
As Brian said above, you don't know what you are in for. And as a general rule, waxes will not remove anything other than the last coat of wax, and that is only a maybe remove. If you insist on trying iot by hand, use a good glaze that has a small amount of polishing abrasive in it. I use "Meguiar's Show Car Glaze, ( # 7). Then the wax of your choice.

Don't laugh..."Nu Finish" followed by 3M Imperial hand glaze works pretty well

I guess you could do like I was taught working at a body shop in the 50's. (LOL) Elbow grease/regular rubbing compound (no wrinkles in your rag!) or a buffer and 'machine' compound (easy does it and STAY AWAY from edges), followed by something like Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (your choice...liquid or paste).

I've gone all the way back to 2000 grit wet sand paper, then go thru the series of 3M products to bring it back to life. Takes about 40hours by hand. I'd use premium products that have the random larger particles filtered out. 3M stuff is all about that. You don't want one little particle of sharp stuff, or you'll start making scratches. Clean as you go with plenty of water inbetween steps. New rags with each new paste.