Knock

How do you tell false knock from real. Im trying to tune my car i get low knock when alky kicks in the some times go's away sometime it wont until i let off. Other times no knock untill 3-4th gear. Im getting detination. i dont know if i should turn up boost because its gotten worse when i turned down in lower gesr its inconsistente too. Think its valve train or something. How do i get block lean down. And whats the lowest safe fuel psi to run and highest

The best way to see if the knock is real, or at least some of it, is to look at the spark plugs. Here are some clear pictures of the peppering to look for:

http://www.dynamicefi.com/SparkPlug.php

False knock is a real pain, real knock is much more then that. On the GN I had to desensitize the knock sensor by adding a short piece of iron pipe between it and the block. Was getting random false knock, but the best was when the stick was pulled back to manual 2nd (or 1st). There was a constant stream of false knock from the increased transmission noise due to the high line pressure.

Another tip while tuning is to use a good spark plug, but an inexpensive one. At this time I'm running Autolite 144 plugs, which is a standard tip (non-extended) copper core plug at under 2-bucks each. This makes it a lot less expensive to toss in a fresh set on a regular basis, as needed.

RemoveBeforeFlight

What i have done for years is put the car in 3rd and boost it. If it has a trickle of KR and goes away, thats ok, but if it doesnt go away and increases gradually, I assume its getting real kr.
Look at the plugs (usually the rear cylinders) for peppering. Use a non projected tip type plug to reduce this peppering on the porcelain too.

Turn off the alky, turn down the boost....Still there?
Knok sensor torque is?

i think its the tranny giving me this knock, but its shifting good. well not slipping but think its gonna go it makes a sound rumble kinda . chuck how tight is the knock sensor? don't know think not to tight. i have an alky chip i need to run it i thought.. I've also posted scan master reading eric from turbo tweak said there good

"chuck how tight is the knock sensor? don't know think not to tight."

Unless YOU check the torque, you don't know.
Back it loose, torque to 14#/ft.

What i have done for years is put the car in 3rd and boost it. If it has a trickle of KR and goes away, thats ok, but if it doesnt go away and increases gradually, I assume its getting real kr.
Look at the plugs (usually the rear cylinders) for peppering. Use a non projected tip type plug to reduce this peppering on the porcelain too.

What's the difference between putting it drive and putting it in third?

What's the difference between putting it drive and putting it in third?
Our trannys dont like OD WOT pulls..Especially if your putting down some good power. Some people do this and get away with it, but why go to OD to look for KR? might be too late.

But you're not in OD till a good ways into your pull, aren't you? Unless you WOT it on the highway. If you're on the street doing 40, or from a light, how long would you have to be in it before you hit od?

You avoid 1 and 2 because most of ust get wheel spin KR. By the time 3rd rolls around, the wheel spin has stopped and you can verify if there is any KR.
If your already at 50mph, put it in 3rd and go WOT without kicking it down into 2nd. You don't want any shifts to interrupt your data.

From a dead stop or around 30-35mph, if i get on the throttle hard not completely wot but about 3/4 or just over 3/4 she would stay in 3rd until around 60-65mph before she'd shift up to go into 4th. If i were to of floored her completely she'd be shifting around 70-75 mph or so from a dead stop or a slow speed roll out of 3rd up into 4th.
I don't try to do 4th gear stomps, i'll pull her down into 3rd if i'm needing to get on her hard to get moving to pass a slower vehicle or need to get someone off my butt. But never had any knock, knock on steel.
If at about half throttle she'd shift at around 50-55mph into 4th from 3rd.
If i just baby it less than half throttle she'll shift at about 40 mph into 4th from 3rd.

But 3rd gear pulls are the best way to find out if it's false or real knock.
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
You avoid 1 and 2 because most of ust get wheel spin KR. By the time 3rd rolls around, the wheel spin has stopped and you can verify if there is any KR.
If your already at 50mph, put it in 3rd and go WOT without kicking it down into 2nd. You don't want any shifts to interrupt your data.

X2

If you depress the gas enough to accelerate in third but not make it shift any gears, you're not going to build any real boost. (not within 5 miles anyway, but at that point you're at freaking 120 mph.) The entire car is worthless if you can't floor it for whatever reason.

Fill it with VP 116.... If you see knock it's false... Most importantly PUT A HOOD MOUNTED FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE ON.... Found 2 bad pumps this way....

where is the boost and timing at?if you have hit your target boost level and fuel system is up to par pull a few degrees of timing in whatever gear your seeing kr.

If you go punch it about half throttle then floor it, it will build alot of boost in a hurry and it wont shift from 3rd down into 2nd. Done it many times to know.