Knock Sensor

gthmcty1

Guys I think I have a bad knock sensor but it is not throwing any codes but my car is pinging like crazy, ( I originally posted this in the ENGINE section) I cleaned the EGR valve but it still pings, this is a NA V6 doesn't the knock sensor retard the timing since our cars are not equipped with vacuum advance?

I am at a lost to try and fix the pinging, thought it was bad gas ran out the bad gas put the good gas in. Now the car feels like it is missing like it is runnung on 5 cylinders instaed of 6 going to change plugs and wires tonight so hopefully that fixes the issue.

Possible the timing is off? Is this a non computer controlled car or computer controlled?

An NA V6 with a knock sensor should have an ECM (computer) . Does the check engine light turn on, then off when the engine started? That is the confirmation the ECM is working. If not, that's your first problem.

Possible the timing is off? Is this a non computer controlled car or computer controlled?

Timing is dead on not issues there

An NA V6 with a knock sensor should have an ECM (computer) . Does the check engine light turn on, then off when the engine started? That is the confirmation the ECM is working. If not, that's your first problem.

ECM is functioning correctly, the ECM turns off and on as described.

DOES the knock sensor control the advance of the distributor since it does not have a vacuum advance?

I had a simular issue with an 84 Camaro I owned once. If you turn the car on and don't start it right away does the mixture solinoid click? Does it idle fine and only seem to miss/knock while under a load?

I had a simular issue with an 84 Camaro I owned once. If you turn the car on and don't start it right away does the mixture solinoid click? Does it idle fine and only seem to miss/knock while under a load?[/QUOTE

Mixture solenoid is clicking, it does idle pretty good only starts to miss/knock under load
THAT is exactly what is taking place CHARLIE!!!!!!!!

Mixture solenoid is clicking, it does idle pretty good only starts to miss/knock under load
THAT is exactly what is taking place CHARLIE!!!!!!!!

I know you won't believe me but take the top off the carb and see if one of the needles is stuck in the primaries. One of my needles stuck and it ran like crap. I took the top off the carb and one primary needle was stuck. Pulled it loose put it back in, and drove that car for several years after that.:biggrin:

I know you won't believe me but take the top off the carb and see if one of the needles is stuck in the primaries. One of my needles stuck and it ran like crap. I took the top off the carb and one primary needle was stuck. Pulled it loose put it back in, and drove that car for several years after that.:biggrin:

LOL Charlie at this point I will try anything, lol this thing is running so rich right now (gotta love the 2 barrels). Thanks Charlie will report back

Well checked the carb and it was within specs nothing stuck, changed the wires and plugs still running like crap.....any other suggestions?

You need a scanner to see what perameters the engine and puter are operating at. Is the check engine light coming on at all?

You need a scanner to see what perameters the engine and puter are operating at. Is the check engine light coming on at all?

No not at all THAT is the stumper???? The only code it threw was a VSS code which I knew why cause I had the speedo unhooked I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds to erase the codes and it didn't throw any other codes........since then.

No not at all THAT is the stumper???? The only code it threw was a VSS code which I knew why cause I had the speedo unhooked I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds to erase the codes and it didn't throw any other codes........since then.

Then it's a mechanical issue. There's a large hose attached to the front top center of the carb that has to do with emissions. Take it off and plug the hose and the nipple on the carb. See if that gets rid of the problem. Had the same problem with the Camaro and it drove me nuts.

Check the base timing. It could be way off.

You can also check the knock sensor by tapping on the intake manifold with a hammer. Use something like a 3/8 socket extension, place it on the intake, then give a couple of firm taps to the other end. You shuold here the idle change.

You should be able to buy a cheap scan tool. It will be well worth it to see what the sensors are reading. You could have something like cracked hose to the MAP sensor. The sensor won't read any vacuum, but the value isn't out of range, so the CHECK ENGINE light won't come on.