Knock circuit question

boostmaster

Trying to chase down an issue of no knock retard. I have checked and eliminated the knock sensor itself, the ECM and the ESC module on the fender. What else could I be missing? Just FYI I checked the components by replacing them with known working parts and the knock sensor itself by banging near the knock sensor with a long extension and viewing changes in AC voltage with a DMM. So I know the sensor itself works. But when I plug up the wire and try the same test.......nothing. It's not in the chip either. Could I have a bad Ignition module? Otherwise the car runs ok.

Thanks, Pete

Have you confirmed the wiring itself? Have you verified the knock sensor is not over tightened(14 ft/#'s) as this is reported to be a common problem w/it's performance.
Might give John Spina a call from "Caspers", or catch him when he is on the forum.

Pete, if you are tapping on the block near the knock sensor, the engine speed has to be above 1000 RPM before you will see anything on a scan tool. Knock is ignored by the ECM below 1000. Prevents retard during engine starting.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pete, if you are tapping on the block near the knock sensor, the engine speed has to be above 1000 RPM before you will see anything on a scan tool. Knock is ignored by the ECM below 1000. Prevents retard during engine starting.

You are correct but in my past experiences when testing key on engine off the ECM shows knock counts. And yes I have confirmed the harness, no problems there. Had that thing completely filet. So my thoughts are that the module is bad not retarding timing.

You stated that you had tested with other known good parts. How could it be the module. With the information you have provided I would look at the ECM itself or the chip. The input circuit of the ECM. Could be damaged or the knock retard could be disabled in the chip.

One test is to check the voltage the knock filter is sending to the ECM. At key-on, engine-off it should be about 9 volts (it does vary a little). This is at ECM pin B7 (YEL/BLK).

When the knock filter reports knock it allows that voltage to go close to 0 volts. So rap around the sensor while watching the volt meter. The voltage only goes to zero for short amounts of time, but the volt meter should at least budge a little.

This wire originates at the knock filter, pin C.

RemoveBeforeFlight

You stated that you had tested with other known good parts. How could it be the module. With the information you have provided I would look at the ECM itself or the chip. The input circuit of the ECM. Could be damaged or the knock retard could be disabled in the chip.

I didn't swap the ignition module though.

One test is to check the voltage the knock filter is sending to the ECM. At key-on, engine-off it should be about 9 volts (it does vary a little). This is at ECM pin B7 (YEL/BLK).

When the knock filter reports knock it allows that voltage to go close to 0 volts. So rap around the sensor while watching the volt meter. The voltage only goes to zero for short amounts of time, but the volt meter should at least budge a little.

This wire originates at the knock filter, pin C.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Wouldn't this be the same thing:

Just FYI I checked the components by replacing them with known working parts and the knock sensor itself by banging near the knock sensor with a long extension and viewing changes in AC voltage with a DMM. So I know the sensor itself works

Wouldn't this be the same thing:

Just FYI I checked the components by replacing them with known working parts and the knock sensor itself by banging near the knock sensor with a long extension and viewing changes in AC voltage with a DMM. So I know the sensor itself works

No, doing the test the way I outlined it also includes the knock filter, the wires & connectors.

RemoveBeforeFlight