Kirban's 3.5" Aluminium Driveshaft and Driveshaft Loop

huntsg

I recently bought Kirban's new 3.5" driveshaft to replace my stock driveshaft. I think I may have been one of the first to buy this new product. I bought a driveshaft loop from Kirban's as well. Dennis was very upfront and said that the loop was designed for the stock diameter driveshaft of 3.0" and that it may not fit. Well the driveshaft came in and it looked awesome. Very nice product. I installed the driveshaft and the loop at the same time. The loop has plenty of clearance to accept the driveshaft it was just a matter of where it went through the loop. The install went fine, but it turns out that there is not enough clearance on the top side of the loop and the driveshaft just barely rubs the loop. However, there is clarence on the bottom side of the shaft and there is also clearance between the top of the loop and the floorboard. I removed the loop and drove with just the new driveshaft while I thought of what to do. I considered cutting the loop and adding some stock 1/4" steel to make the loop bigger, but instead decided to heat up the topside of the loop and bend it to more closely fit the shape of the bottom of the GN. Another member here, Shaun (aka "Reaper"), and I quickly found out that these loops are very sturdy and the propane torch we were using was not able to get the loop hot enough for us to bend it. Shaun came up with a very clever idea to make 3 cuts in the top side of the loop so that the loop could be bent and then the cuts could be welded closed. After making this modification (thanks Shaun and see the attached pictures) I reinstalled the loop onto the car and it fit like a charm with plenty of clearance all the way around. Hopefully, if anyone else has this issue this will help them fix it.

driveshaft loop 1.JPGdriveshaft loop 2.JPGdriveshaft loop 3.JPGdriveshaft loop 4.JPGdriveshaft loop 5.JPG

That is a great idea. I had the Kirban loop that Otto installed. When he drove the car it drove fine with the stock shaft. Then My friend and I jumped in for a spin with Otto at the wheel and it was rubbing. Took it off and added a Metco loop instead. Kirban's drive shafts that he sells look like a nice piece. I should have jumped on the sale at Kirbans gathering.

FYI the umi driveshaft loop I used took my 4" aluminum drive shaft without any clearance issues.