Killed an RX7

Gokou

So I'm coming home from dinner, sitting at a stoplight, and the car next to me (a 2nd gen RX7) starts poking the throttle. I look over, and see he's not looking at me, but the guy next to him in the 3rd lane driving a 70's 240Z. I look ahead, one car stopped at the next light, nothing else in sight. I'm thinking to myself, sure, why not?

Wanting to surprise them I leave from idle. The Z jumps the light just before it goes green and gets out about a car. I launch even with the RX7 on the green, and I immediately pull about a car and a half on the RX7 and start slowly pulling away, while I'm also slowly reeling in the Z. As I get nose to door with the Z, there's a car up ahead in my lane, so I get on the brakes and slow down. The RX7 goes zipping by me on the right chasing the Z. I'm doubled over laughing at this point. Why? Because I was driving my Mom's 150K mile '93 Bravada, my Dad is riding shotgun and laughing so hard he's tearing, and my Mom is in the backseat doing the same thing. :p

I wish the next light turned red so we could run again. I'm sure with an even launch I could have taken the Z. ;)