Kill switch add on suggestions

TurboBuickSix

Thought I would suggest a cheap or even free but very effective way to keep your ride from being taken.Get a cheap 12v siren from somewhere,garage sale,flea market, ebay, maybe you have part of an old burglar alarm you took out of a junker long ago like me.

get a switch,(I use mini style) that is :

on-----siren-no ignition
off-----no ignition,no siren.
on-----ignition

Tapped into the starter wire under the dash and hidden where you want it.Thief breaks column,thinks to himself ok then pushes the bar, and instead of starting gets the crap scarred out of himself while hopefully drawing attention.This should help move him along his scumbag way faster than he might with just a kill switch alone.This could also be augmented by another device that keeps the alarm sounding after it has been tripped.Another option would be to install a second siren or air horn(use your imagination)INSIDE the vehicle so he can hear it much better.Be sure to hide the wires under the hood going to the siren inside of existing wire looms and try your best to make it look like factory wiring,be creative you have to want to keep it more than they want to steal it.There was also someone that mentioned the availability of remote control switches that "sport compact enthusiasts" were using that would work great for this.I posted this because so many thefts have been happening lately and the season for it is here.Be careful and good luck.

kill switch

I used this;A relay that is grounded by the cigarette lighter.
Push the lighter in and the car starts like normal.
Pull the lighter out and any attempt to start and the horn honks.
Take the lighter with you and there is nothing to push in to ground the relay.
Hide the wiring and no one will ever know :cool:

441120 said:
I used this;A relay that is grounded by the cigarette lighter.
Push the lighter in and the car starts like normal.
Pull the lighter out and any attempt to start and the horn honks.
Take the lighter with you and there is nothing to push in to ground the relay.
Hide the wiring and no one will ever know :cool:

That's a great idea until I launch and the lighter ends up in the backseat :biggrin:

See it works

If you launch, then the car is running, don't need the lighter :biggrin:

If someone is watching you and your car for a while they might pick up on this.I say this because it is kind of hard to hide what you are doing with it right out there in plain view.Sometimes when you pull up to your destination there may be folks standing around you don't particularly trust or don't even see. You don't want them to see you take that lighter out and put it in your pocket,a smart thief will be on that in a minute,might even encourage him.Sometimes you may have someone in or around your vehicle you don't know too well,I can arm or disarm mine with you in the car and you probably would not notice.What do you do when you need the lighter outlet to power something,like a power inverter for your laptop or scantool? I would opt for a more discrete location for the switch besides front and center of the interior.No need for a relay if your using the ignition wire under the dash,as long as you use a 10A micro switch.

The thing is, you can yank the lighter after you start the car, and then noone will see you take it out. You could even get a dummy one that doesn't work to put it in place. And, you don't use just this one theft deterrent idea, use several. I agree, that someone will undoubtedly pick up on just about anything you do, but the lighter trick will stop/delay most.

I was thinking about doing someyhing along those lines also i guess you could do it a lot of different ways if you want to be creative i've heard wire relay to radio and push to arm or disarm cig lighter as mentioned, i think i will do something along these lines and probably add a horn this is a good thread. :smile:

One thing that I have heard, and sounds good, is to put a second siren under the driver's seat. I have heard of people actually driving the car away while the siren is going. With one under the seat, it will make it a little difficult to figure out the rest of the kill switches, and at the very least, will deafen them when the drive away.

Spend the money and get an alarm it's more effective. What you are going is a good idea but you are looking into problems in the future.

These kill switches requires relays. If these were to fail (higher quality one don't) or something were to short out or come loose then you will probaly get stuck somewhere someday.

Don't get me wrong it's a good idea and cheap and effective. Alarm systems is a excellent deterrent. Theives don't like noise.

Kill switch

I've used the turn signal switch to power a relay also. Turn the right turn signal on, it powers the relay coil enabling the starter. Don't use the turn signal no starter. These are just ideas, anyone (pro) that wants your car will get it, alarm, kill switch, club, lojak, remove the steering wheel, it does not matter... think flat bed! GONE! :mad:
The lighter is usually set up while driving,with either dummy or under seat/ in console. Pushing the lighter in before you start can be mixed in with messing with the radio etc. If I used accessories while driving I would use another setup but I'm too busy with civilians in Camry's trying to kill me with their cell phones :biggrin:
I use an alarm, kill switch, and extender chip theft. I still don't park it unless I have to.

sorry about my wife in her camry, I've told her a thousand times not to drive and talk LOL. also heres something for everyone.

WITH EVERYONE SCARED TO DEATH OF THERE PRIZED GN'S/T-TYPES BEING LIFTED, YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT LO-JACK AS THEY HAVE A SETUP FOR 995.00 THAT NOT ONLY TRACKS YOUR CARS IF STOLEN BUT ALSO HAS A SENSE FEATURE THAT IF YOUR CAR IS MOVED WITHOUT YOU IN IT, IT AUTOMATICALLY ALERTS 5 DIFFERENT CONTACTS I.E. PHONE,CELL, PAGER,EMAIL,OR FRIEND ETC. IT WORKS OFF THE REMOTE ON YOUR KEYCHAIN SO IF SOMEONE EVEN TRIES TO TOW IT, IT WILL ALERT YOU AND ANY OTHER CONTACTS YOU LIST IMMEDIATELY. IF INTERESTED IN KEEPING YOUR CAR FROM THE SWAP MEET PARTS SECTION CALL LARRY AT 1-781-471-2506 EXT 2506 TELL HIM MIKE FROM LOS ANGELES SENT YOU. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP THOSE TURBO CARS IN YOUR DRIVEWAY WHERE THEY BELONG!