Kewalo Lunch Wagon closes today

gokada

And so today after maybe 40 years, another icon closes. I went there today early and stood in the last line and watched them serve up the last mixed plates and shoyu chickens. I weathered the hot sun in anticipation of my favorite Hamburger steak/mahi combo. Then after about 45 minutes, I heard a local guy cry out “that’s it, I got the last plate!” I was so bummed and thought maybe if I stay in the line, they might just scoop some chicken gravy on some bread and feed it to me. I did however walk away with the very last tuna sandwiches. I also gave them a couple leis on behalf of Turbo Buick Hawaii and told them the GN gang (BADGUY6 especially) would missed their Mac salad.
Now to search for another wagon that’ll keep me in shape.
;)

Poor Guy. I knew he enjoyed going to that particular lunch wagon. Too bad.:(
So many popular local businesses going belly-up nowdays. I'm glad I got to go there before it closed. My Dad knew the people who worked in there pretty well when he had his boat at Kewalos.

My family too had a boat there and, once a month my brother and I had to scrub barnacles off the hull. I remember grinding lunch from the Kandas' when we were finished. Those were the days.