Kenne Bell Ram Air

87gninpa

I just recently purchased my GN and it has the Kenne Bell ram air in it(the one that enters in the driver side air dam). is this one of the better kits? or is it really not helping much? ALso, where can i get a 3" mass air pipe to replace the stock vacuum hose looking thing?

mark hueffman (his site) sells a nice maf pipe to replace the dryer hose looking thing. mandrell bent and all that fun stuff. You'll get a million opinions on which ram/cold air to use, including to not use one at all and just use a filter on the maf nozzle or turbo nozzle depending on your computer setup. It all depends on your application, weather, etc for which is best. I haven't really heard any complaints about the kenne bell ramair so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure if you search there's been a thread about it though.

Just to clarify something! My MAF pipes are NOT mandrel bent. The pipes are actually straight. I use rubber angle connectors to get them to fit.

The pipes for the cold air kits I sell ARE mandrel bent though.:)

I've got the KB kit and it's not bad. I usually run it without the filter enclosed in the cannister for a little more airflow.

I have the KB kit on my T-Type. It is worth a good 2mph in the heat. Removing the filter gave me no increase in MPH in my T or 10 second GN. If you have a good flowing K&N, it shouldn't be worth anything by removing it. If the car does pick up some MPH, then that should be an indication your filter is too small.

One thing I did do with the cannister is trim the top part off where it necks down to meet the filter. I then pop riveted a plastic ring so about 3" tall so it would extend past the filter. This made a looser fit. It helps so if you ever have to remove the MAF pipe from the car, you don't have to dismantle the cannister, etc.

This kit is NOT a ram air kit. That is a deceiving name as you really can't "ram" this engine. What the kit DOES do it pick up air from outside the engine compartment. No matter how hot it is outside it is always cooler than your underhood temp. Anytime an engine can breath cooler air it is definately better.