Kenne-Bell ram air and air box

Phase4

Hi,

I was just wanting to ask some opinions here.

My car, an 87 Turbo T in Scotland, has an old Kenne Bell 'ram air' set up on it. The scoop is mounted centrally under the front number plate and then quite large diameter ducting runs across and up and ends in the 'air box' set up with the duct coming in at an angle and the K&N air filter sitting inside it.

The car also has an old Spearco intercooler with a huge scoop/air dam underneath the car so having the 'ram air' air scoop where it is doesm't, I think, affect the ammount of air getting to the intercooler.

I have two schools of thought on the 'ram air' and 'air box'.

One:- the K&N seems to fit very tight inside the box, therefore almost all the air that gets to the K&N comes through the scoop. When the car is moving, the air (which is theoretically cooler than under hood air) is getting pushed across the K&N. This sounds good, plus, when the car is at rest, the air ingested by the engine through the filter comes from the scoop and is therefore, still, theoretically, cooler than under the hood air.

However:

Two:- the Kenne Bell 'air box' is so tight to the K&N that the filter doesn't have a chance to draw air from all around it. The only air it gets is through the approx. 5 inch duct/inlet from the scoop. Surely this must restrict the ammount of air that the engine wants and needs. If the 'air box' wasn't there, the whole filter area would have a chance to take air in to the engine, but it would be warmer under hood air, although I guess when the car is moving air is getting blown through the engine compartment and the location of the K&N means that it gets the air before the engine gets a chance to 'heat' it.

I am not sure if I have explained it well, but I was wondering what the current thinking is on air filters/scoops/air boxes?

What I am going to try is remove the KB 'air box' but leave the scoop and ducting, hence it still blows air in the general direction of the K&N but leaves the K&N completely open.

Any thoughts appreciated.

All the best
Sandy

Attachments

• Engine2.jpg
    Engine2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 202
Hi,
It's an interesting thought you have brought up.There are ways of testing this,but it requires a few sensors. My gut feeling is that the ram effect of the outside air will outweigh the extra volume of air which might be drawn in from the enginge compartment.It's an interesting train of thought, however....

The KB ram air setup is old school. There have been a few discussions on it over the years. I picked up ET by just running an open filter and removing mine. Looks better too. The other outside air option is Marks Big Mouth kit. Big Mouth Cold Air Kits I used that for a few years and it also worked well too.

Attachments

• WLDWST Engine Recent Photo.jpg
    WLDWST Engine Recent Photo.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 156
I took just the canister off back in 86/87 whenever it came out. Ran faster and quicker without it . So since then the air cleaner sits in the hot engine compartment :p