Kenne Bell intake

bq93

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question – but you don’t know what something looks like until you’ve seen it.

I’ve had my ’86 GN for about a year now and I’m still trying to figure out how everything works. I took it out for a drive a couple of weeks ago and when I got back I notice a coiled dryer hose looking thing hanging down in front of the driver’s side front wheel. Although this car is new to me I’m not a complete idiot – so I know it’s the hose for the intake. I have an old Kenne Bell with the plastic canister that covers the filter.

The problem is I can’t for the life of me figure out where the other end of the hose was attached. I honestly never got around to looking at it before, and now I can’t find a cut in vent in the air dam or any other place it was connected. Granted I have only been able to squeeze under it to look and haven’t had it up on a rack or anything….but does anyone have a picture or any guidance as to where this intake end of these were normally attached?

Thanks for any help.

The upper end of the hose attaches to the black plastic canister and the lower end was attached to a Kenne-Bell supplied left side air dam which had a scoop molded in it. There was also a separate scoop available for those who did not want to replace the whole air dam, but you had to cut a hole into your stock air dam to install it.
Maybe fore some unknown reason, there once was a scooped air dam that got replaced at one point on your car with a "scoop-less" one...:rolleyes:...which might explain why the hose was left dangling behind the front bumper.
Hope this helps...

Claude :wink:

P.S: You can still find those scoops and air dams used on Ebay as they show up once in a while... or maybe get a brand new one from one of the several Buick aftermarket suppliers...

Thanks for the input.

I am definitely “scoopless” right now. Since I couldn’t find where it was connected I just ziptied it beside the air dam. I’m pretty sure I didn’t lose a scoop or I would have heard it or run over it. I guess it is possible the hose was just hanging out there like it is now.

I’m a little embarrassed that I never noticed how it was hooked up before. I guess with fixing the brakes, and the alternator, and the Ttops. etc, etc, I just haven’t got around to it yet.

IMO and a few others, you should pull that airbox out of there...Seems to be a restriction on lowend power. I don't know if you're running a front mount or alky, but I'd say unless your car is 100% stock AND you have the actual ram air dam then i'd say set it on the shelf...I have one sitting there too...There are better cold air kits then this ram air design. Once again, just my opinion.

HTH

If its anything like the ATR intake I had on my WH1, under high boost it will actually be a rescriction. The force the of the turbo drawing so much air can actually make the canister close onto the filter, thus making a very small hole for air to enter. I believe mine was 4". I took the canister off and ran the 14" K&N only.

I have a BuickGN.Com Big Mouth on my GN, and I like it. IAT temps arent too bad. And since its aluminum, its nice and light.

Just my .02

Thats the kit that I would recommend as well. The KB air can is hard plastic and you really cant collapse it by hand, but there is so much more air travel that's required by it which is probably why its a restriction on bottom end IMO.

Thats the kit that I would recommend as well. The KB air can is hard plastic and you really cant collapse it by hand, but there is so much more air travel that's required by it which is probably why its a restriction on bottom end IMO.

I didnt purchase it, it came on my car along with the AlkyControl and the Hooker exhasut; among other things.:biggrin: It sounds like a vacuum cleaner on steriods under boost.:cool: Works pretty good too.

i have the KB ram air also with the scoop....wouldnt this system be better than just a regular CAI because the canister is keeping the engine heat out and only drawing in cold fresh air, as to where a CAI just has an open filter......??

i have the KB ram air also with the scoop....wouldnt this system be better than just a regular CAI because the canister is keeping the engine heat out and only drawing in cold fresh air, as to where a CAI just has an open filter......??

Theoretically yes, but having cooler air doesn't help if the canister is suffocating the filter and won't let it pull in as much air as it needs.

+1, and if you have alky its really not going to help at all IMO...Nothing can beat the cooling power of methanol...

how exactly would the canister be suffocating the filter??....first time I've heard this thats why i asked

I removed my canister and duct work.

Removing it also helps spool-up.

You can now hear your turbo scream at you:biggrin:

Mine is just a nice looking driver so I don’t have to have the best there is. I just don’t want it looking hoopty with a random hose hanging down.

Thanks for all the input.

so if i just remove the canister and expose the k&n filter it will imitate a cold air intake right??? Will i notice any difference and is this all i have to do so i dont suffocate the filter?

Remove it or...

I have also seen pics of TRs with holes cut into the canister and the hose still hooked up. I guess it's so there is still some slightly colder air being fed in. It looks like they swiss-cheesed the entire thing with a 3 inch hole saw.

I do know that my car performed much better after removing the canister.

The car will perform better without the canister. I know my WH1 did. Running a open filter under the hood is fine. If you want, you can make up your own homemade cold air induction if you want, at a later date.

so if i just remove the canister and expose the k&n filter it will imitate a cold air intake right??? Will i notice any difference and is this all i have to do so i dont suffocate the filter?
Yes, just remove the canister and your car will thank you:D

KB cold air intake c/w scoop

I have a KB cold air intake system c/w scoop,hose,cannister & K&N filter....
It's for sale if anyone is interested? $100. + shipping.

I have pics....just send me your e-mail address.

Dave