keep blowing drivers side header gaskets

87GN 98GTP

Andrew
ok, i have the headers from TR customs, I have blown 2 regular gaskets, 1 remflex crush gasket and last I tried the high temp form a gasket, and I have had the header checked and smoothed out flat. I know its not the 1/2 flange like the TA headers, anyone have ideas on what to try besides swapping the header flanges...

Even the "best" header gasket will leak or blow out unless the installation is proper.

There are 2 reasons header gaskets leak or blow out, one is the header flange is not flat, or the fasteners have loosened, usually the latter.

All fasteners are not equal with their "holding" performance.

The 2 best fasteners for headers I have found are the stock bolts with their captured washers, or studs and nuts. :)

Alum heads usually get studs.

The ARP 12 point bolts do not have enough head surface to provide ample friction to the header, and will loosen easily without repeated tightening.

No matter which type fastener is chosen and a header or turbo gaskets is used, fasteners MUST be re-tightened after each heat cycle until they no longer move.

With Remflex gaskets it would be overtightening that will blow them out! Mine have been on the car for years now without any issues.

I have stockers and got standard bolts and washers from a local autoparts store for a larger clamping area. Maybe some thread sealant to help hold if it doesn't burn off from the heat. I just use Copper high temp RTV

I've had my share of blown exhaust header gaskets. I've blown out Remflex and solid copper. The gasket is not the cause, but rather the symptom. The main causes I've found are: warped flanges and fasteners that loosen.

I've solved the gasket problems by fixing the flanges.......cut them off and replace them or re-machine them flat. I now have my header bolts drilled for safety wire. Learned that trick from Neal S. ;) Safety wiring the bolts isn't easy or much fun, but they will NOT loosen even after multiple heat cycles

I don't care for the Remflex gaskets, too soft in my opinion......but lots of folks love them. I prefer the solid copper SCE gaskets coated with Permatex Ultra Copper RTV. The Ultra Copper is amazing stuff! It survives under extreme temps.

thanks guys, but after going out to look at it im sure it the bolts(i didnt do this), cuz the drivers side has 2 bolts that that have extenders on it with the dipstick and alty bracket, well the to nuts that hold the header tight are not tight, not good then but the shop made sure the flange is not warped... the alty bolt is missing the spacer and has just a bolt which is not long enough, where can I get replacements oem bolts

I had the same problem with every gasket I tried ( even the remflex ) just use some high temp copper rtv and be done with it. Hard to blow out what's not there.

The stock bolts are your best bet. I had them blasted at my powder coaters and reused. They should not be over tightened. It sounds like the culprit would be you exhaust flange on the header. Before I install a header I always put it on a piece of glass to check for flatness. If you want to try other bolts time to start looking for 3/8 exhaust studs and use some Locking washers. I still think stock bolts are your best bet.

anyone know where to get oem bolts? the 2 on the the drivers side with the alty bracket and dipstick bolts i need new ones

well I dont need bolts but the shop who did it for me when I had it there for the tune broke off the lower front bolt and looks like its stripped as well cuz theres some substance on the bolt as well, this will be fun going back there, im PISSED

Even the "best" header gasket will leak or blow out unless the installation is proper.

There are 2 reasons header gaskets leak or blow out, one is the header flange is not flat, or the fasteners have loosened, usually the latter.

All fasteners are not equal with their "holding" performance.

The 2 best fasteners for headers I have found are the stock bolts with their captured washers, or studs and nuts. :)

Alum heads usually get studs.

The ARP 12 point bolts do not have enough head surface to provide ample friction to the header, and will loosen easily without repeated tightening.

No matter which type fastener is chosen and a header or turbo gaskets is used, fasteners MUST be re-tightened after each heat cycle until they no longer move.

X2 I wouldnt use a gasket unless I absolutely had to.

Pete

hey guys Im guna get 3/8 inch set screws but also want the size of the bolt, like 10mm or what is it?

hey guys Im guna get 3/8 inch set screws but also want the size of the bolt, like 10mm or what is it?

Not sure what you mean by the bolt, but they are all 3/8". I got a couple different lengths of set screws for bolting on the supports for the driver's side. IIRC some were 2/5" and there rest were 3".

The nuts on the end of exhaust bolts are 14mm. Not sure if thats what you were looking for?