Kappa 3.5

JRGN

hey guys wanting to know something, planning on installing the kappa 3.5 in the dash, and in the doors the boston 5 1/2, and in the rear deck the boston 6x9s, and the radio is a ALPINE din 1/2 model # CDAD853, the ? I have, is do I need to hook up a amp to get the system to sound good or is this enough, this is the wifes car.:D

Question 1.
Are your Bostons 2 way (mid and tweeter)?
If so, you dont need the Kappas up front. In fact it might sound a little weird, since you will have the same sound coming from 2 different places. In other words, the mids and highs coming from the 2 speakers will be out of phase.
IMO, if you have good door speaker, dash speakers aren't needed. unless its a center channel only.

Question 2.
What are the ohm ratings on your speakers? The head will not like anything much less than a nominal 4 ohms at each channel. Where some amps are rated to handle less load, head units typically do not fair too well when set up like that.
I have no clue how the concert sound is wired from the factory, but I assume they use 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get a 4 ohm load. If you use the factory wiring, using new speakers (which are typically 4 ohms) then the head will see 2 ohms. You dont want that to happen. The internal amp will not last long at 2 ohm loads.

The stock deck power will be enough to power the speakers without an external amp. However, you might want a set of bass blockers (or similar capacitors) to roll off low frequencies to the front speakers.

Thanks Jason, I pulled out the factory dash speakers and they are rated 10 ohm and had a capacitor attached to them, so I went ahead and put one on the kappas, thanks again for the help. Jr.