Kalifornia to ban small cans of refrigerant

tom h

Now Kalifornia intends to ban individual cans of R134 refrigerant, ostensibly to reduce "global warming".

Everyone would be compelled to use service facilities that employ recycling equipment. A $5 top-off will turn into a $150 service.

No matter that even regulators acknowledge that at most a few tons release of R134 would be annually prevented. China and India release tens of millions times more "greenhouse gasses". Kalifornia trying to control such tiny amounts is ridiculous and will not make a whit of difference.

The problem is caused by a law (AB32), which was fully supported and signed by Hollywood-grandstanding, elitist Governor Arnold Schwarzenneger. His personal fleet of Hummers and private jets completely swamps out any small release of R134.

Also don't forget Schwarzenneger signed a 2006(?) law which repealed the 30-year rolling exemption from auto emissions testing. I think the last model year exempted was 1976. Henceforth, no model after 1977 is ever exempted, even if it's the last model on the road. Our 86-87 TRs will still be required to get smog tests in the year 2050 :(

Then again, that's the way of the wealthy liberal elitists -- all the sacrifices have to be made by the middle-classes, while the elitists maintain their own extravagant lifestyles.
LOS ANGELES - Today the California Air Resources Board (ARB or Board) approved early action measures to address climate change emissions as set forth in the landmark California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32).
... Reduction of refrigerant losses from motor vehicle air conditioning system maintenance - restricting the sale of "do-it-yourself" automotive refrigerants

Good grief. What idiots! Next they'll outlaw automobile crashes because they too release refrigerant along with other highly toxic substances such as gas, oil & antifreeze onto the road.

Another reason I refuse to live in California:rolleyes:

I'm going to buy me a case of R134a just incase that crud migrates this way.