Just thinking about a few things

Justin Terry

I have started a new school. Its the School Of Automotive Machinists. Its the best and only school like it in the world. And I have been wondering about some stuff. This school has got me thinking about more stuff than anything. On our cars turbo buicks. Do many people run vacuum pumps. I know alot use dry sumps and thats basically the same as far as keeping them motor good and sealed up. Also is there anyone that has gotten the TA aluminum blocks in cars and running. I want one for my WE4 but it will be a while before i can afford that project.

Nope! And it will be a while before they complete the supporting cast to get one in any car. Be patient I guess. Are the heads out yet? I figured the would beat the block but then you need the special motor mounts and oil pickup which is still in the works.

"9/10/03

The blocks began shipping out last week and will continue to go out through next week. Some are already being assembled and should be running soon."

That's what is says on the website, but I wonder if anybody on here has one assembled yet?? I would think the Turbo Buick engine gurus (Duttweiler, Dan Strezo of PTE, Bill Anderson, etc.) would be building the first TA motors only because these guys have a good rep for building Stage II motors........

I guess it's a wait and see type of thing....... My dad is very interested in this because he would definitely consider building one of these after he's done playing with his stock block motor in the near future...... I would be interested in building one in the distant future when all my pennies have been saved up!

It takes time for these types of big projects to fully pan out, but I'm sure once they have everything done and produced it will be well worth the money!

:) :cool:

I wanna see one and see it run Sixgun. Im in Houston when u get it running let everyone know because I wanna see it.

I called them on Monday and they said that several blocks had shipped but the only one that they knew was together was at Duttweiler's shop but had a water leak issue so he couldn't make a full dyno pull yet (no idea where the leak was so don't assume it was the block, okay? :)). Also, the first full production run of 50 heads is being cast now. The SI heads with 1.90/1.60 valves should be shipping in a month or three, with as cast ports and ready for stock style rocker shafts. Should just clear a standard bore, and the valves are stock height so stock-style springs will work. Price is $1095 for bare castings and assembled will be $1700-1800 but that's not solid yet. They are working on the cnc porting programs but that will be a while. As cast flow should be about 240 cfm on the intake at .5", no idea on exhaust. The SE heads with relocated valves will need pedestal style rocker pairs that are designed and drawn up but not yet manufactured. These heads will need a minimum bore of 3.830" to clear the valves, and again the cnc porting programming has yet to be done. They have one on center and one off center block, and about half the heads, unspoken for so call now to order. The next casting run of blocks is being planned but he didnt give me target dates.

Thanks that was all stuff I needed to know. Because I dont know a whole lot about the blocks or heads but I know will be trying to get some in about a year or so.

Customer dropped of his T/A block today, looks pretty stout. It will be a while before this one is up and running, looks like it will require some fabrication and machining.

Originally posted by EightSecV6
Customer dropped of his T/A block today, looks pretty stout. It will be a while before this one is up and running, looks like it will require some fabrication and machining.

Sounds good Bill! If you get a chance please take some pics when the motor is built:) :cool:

Bill, any chance your customer would let you bring the block up to Cecil County this weekend? I'm sure lots and lots and lots of people would love to see one in person. Oh, do you have your clutch back together? Will you and Jeff be running Friday or just Saturday (notice how I'm assuming you will both be there? :))?

Originally posted by ijames
Bill, any chance your customer would let you bring the block up to Cecil County this weekend? I'm sure lots and lots and lots of people would love to see one in person. Oh, do you have your clutch back together? Will you and Jeff be running Friday or just Saturday (notice how I'm assuming you will both be there? :))?
Hopefully I can get up with you Saturday. I want a version of your 72 lb. emission chip for my 83's. It didn't hit me until last night talking to Banning that you have the FBI car from our recent MAGNA gathering. Now I know! I can't put board names with the faces quickly:D

Carl,
The race car is 4-6 weeks out according to RAM!!!! We machined Jeffs manifold yesterday and should have it running by Fri. afternoon. I planned to bring the T/A block along Saturday, make sure you and all your friends stop by to check it out (and pick up a business card!!!!). We will probably be put on the trailer early as JB has an uncontrollable urge to keep the right foot planted no matter what!(we have not finished the cage yet).It will be fun to watch however as he actually drives 2 miles in a 1320!!!! Hopefully we can make an 1/8 or 2 to get it dialed in and then let her rip for at least 1 pass.

Bill, when you get time, let me know what machining and fabrication you plan to do, thanks.

To add with what Carl stated, the TA motor at Duttweiler's developed over 1000 HP and there was a small water leak at the head. That is where test was halted and will continue shortly.

Minor point, the TA heads will be configured for 1.94" intake valves which means lots of available SMC one available. We have a set of TA heads in the shop now and will be doing assembly and testing within the next few weeks.

All TA heads will be CNC port-matched. We will finish hand porting the set now in process

Originally posted by ijames

The SI heads should be

shipping in a

month

or three

Hopefully before the TSM cut-off date for the 2004 Nats...approx. 50 days (7 weeks) away.

Customer dropped of his T/A block today, looks pretty stout.

It will be a while before this one is up and running,

looks like it will require some

fabrication

and

machining.

Bill,

What requires fabrication,

and what kind of machining?

TIA!! :)

Bill, sorry you and Jeff couldn't make it either day. There was a great turnout. Mike T. from TA Performance was even there spectating. Please let us know the next time you guys are going out so we can watch.