Just purchased...Spring Cleaning

Cliff

I just picked up a 1 owner 56,xxx mile 87 Turbo T and the car is beautiful. The problem is the car had been sitting in a garage for over 5 years. I got the car and did...oil change, fuel filter, cleaned k&n air filter, plugs, wires...didn't touch the trans and rear yet but they are next. I have 2 minor issues that I need help with. When I did the fuel filter the gas stunk so bad I think I may need to clean and flush the tank. Car was breaking up under any type of boost and exhaust smelled like old gas.

How hard is it to drop the tank in these cars alone?

My other issue is I have a small exhaust leak on the downpipe where it connects to the elbow coming out of the turbo. Is this gasket / donut available from a local parts store or would I need to buy online from g body parts?

Attachments

• 20150904_141017.jpg
    20150904_141017.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 255
  • 20150904_140904.jpg
    20150904_140904.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 262
  • 20150904_140926.jpg
    20150904_140926.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Not hard. Undo two bolts and disconnect the lines and it comes down easily. Get a fuel pump to drop in while its down.

Not hard. Undo two bolts and disconnect the lines and it comes down easily. Get a fuel pump to drop in while its down.
Ok, spoke with a friend and he said the same thing. Kind of on a strick budget until I pay it off in a year so just cleaned up for now. I will eventually upgrade the pump and do a hotwire kit as well.

Ok, spoke with a friend and he said the same thing. Kind of on a strick budget until I pay it off in a year so just cleaned up for now. I will eventually upgrade the pump and do a hotwire kit as well.

Then unhook the wastegate arm.

Stock pump and wiring are not adequate for even stock boost level. Running lean will cost you way more in repairs than the pump and hot wire. Also, check the chip. If stock get it out. Too much timing for todays crap gas. Get a turbo tweak or bailey chip.

When you lower the gas tank keep an eye on the fill tube so that it doesn't come in contact with and damage the bumper fillers.

Nice looking 87 Turbo T , if it was an 86 then it would be a T-Type.

Last edited:
Changed the fuel filter and drained the tank by running a tube from the open fuel filter line while I was changing it. Ran new fuel and flushed again. Put new fuel in it with FI cleaner (techron). Car ran a little better but still breaking up under boost. Just did a coil pack check with Caspers coil checker and the pack is fine. Wires and coil tower was gummed up so I am now doing new plugs and wires. I am also going to go over all my vacuum lines and replacing all new. Almost have it to where it runs good.

One other thing is I need to get a fuel pump hotwire and do a TT chip. The chip in there is a Mag IV Conley racing chip from the 90's. Stay tuned......

Racing chip is probably why it is breaking up under boost. A racing chip has high timing. 93 octane fuel won't support high timing. I know you are trying but you are likely flirting with disaster.

Racing chip is probably why it is breaking up under boost. A racing chip has high timing. 93 octane fuel won't support high timing. I know you are trying but you are likely flirting with disaster.
Just ordered TT chip and fuel pump hotwire kit. Not taking any chances with that chip.

Welcome Pilgrim, can you post pic's of the engine compartment, so we may help you identify any mod's you're not familiar with. Then you can post them in your sig for any future assistance and avoid the usual ?'s.
A tight budget is a blessing to the wise, as they can only afford to mod as fast as their acquired knowledge will allow. Spending more time in the driver's seat and less time under the hood. We have more than 30 years of shared knowledge in this community, so take advantage of it and you will be able to help others in need as well. Again welcome to the board!!!

I just picked up a 1 owner 56,xxx mile 87 Turbo T and the car is beautiful. The problem is the car had been sitting in a garage for over 5 years. I got the car and did...oil change, fuel filter, cleaned k&n air filter, plugs, wires...didn't touch the trans and rear yet but they are next. I have 2 minor issues that I need help with. When I did the fuel filter the gas stunk so bad I think I may need to clean and flush the tank. Car was breaking up under any type of boost and exhaust smelled like old gas.

How hard is it to drop the tank in these cars alone?

My other issue is I have a small exhaust leak on the downpipe where it connects to the elbow coming out of the turbo. Is this gasket / donut available from a local parts store or would I need to buy online from g body parts?

Exhaust gasket / donut is also available from Highway Stars.
If you're not familiar with them, you should be as they are one of the "better vendors" offering quality products for our cars.......service is 2nd to none too .
Take a look at their website, you'll be glad you did.

Here's a link:
http://www.highwaystars.net/gasket-turbo-exhaust-downpipe-gm-1262500/

Mods are: open element K&N, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjustable waste gate, test pipe, hooker cat back with aero turbine exhaust, some type of spacer or plate between dog house and intake manifold, mag iv chip and what appears to be a switch of some sort on the fuel rail.
20150906_160933.jpg
20150906_165855.jpg
camera-p.jpg
C02DF3D9-3DCA-491B-976F-F6432EB6EB77.jpg

The wire on the end of the fuel rail probably goes to an electric fuel pressure gauge.

Best way I have found to find vacuum leaks is with a smoke machine. You inject smoke into a vacuum hose and where it leaks out is your leak. You can also inject smoke into the tail pipe (put a plastic glove on the other pipe) to find header and exhaust leaks. If you don't want to buy a smoke machine, do a Google search for home made vacuum leak finders.

Best way I have found to find vacuum leaks is with a smoke machine. You inject smoke into a vacuum hose and where it leaks out is your leak. You can also inject smoke into the tail pipe (put a plastic glove on the other pipe) to find header and exhaust leaks. If you don't want to buy a smoke machine, do a Google search for home made vacuum leak finders.
Good advice but I think over the winter months I will be replacing all underhood rubber....vacuum hoses, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses......they all look OEM. Most likely do the vacuum lines 1st to eliminate that issue. I have a manual boost guage that I could hook up temporarily to see how much vacuum it has and to check my boost. Trying to keep this car as close to stock appearance as possible. Scanmaster will be in glove compartment once I get one.