Just installed pt51....

turboost

I was wondering how I should go about breaking it in? I have it set at about 10psi now and have only boosted it that high once. Usually I only take it up to 5psi. How long should I leave it at low boost?

Another question is when I installed it and took it for a spin around the block with 0 boost, when I popped the hood the exhaust side was blue. Is this normal? I do plan on using the stock D5 for a while, has anybody gotten into the 11's with the stock D5 with this turbo? I plan on getting the ME and leaning out the bottom end quite a bit hoping for "stock-like" spool.

BTW the wastegate rod seems to be rubbing on the metal around the wastegate hole on the actuator. Is this ok or do I need to make some adjustments? I really don't see anyway to adjust it unless the arm on the dp was made longer. Thanks for any help or input.

The way I understand it is that when you have oil pressure on initial start-up, it's broken in :) It's prolly a good idea to ease into it for a day or two, but after that you're good to go imo.
The blue color is a normal occurence as the exhaust housing is seeing some heat now that it's installed. Don't know what to say about the WG rod...phone Harry and ask him.
The 51 will go 11's. The question of the month is, will it go 10's reliably, as advertised :D Ofcourse, you're overall combination will play a huge factor in the 51's performance limit.
HTH
Jim

Originally posted by Jimn8or
The 51 will go 11's. The question of the month is, will it go 10's reliably, as advertised :D Ofcourse, you're overall combination will play a huge factor in the 51's performance limit.
HTH
Jim

:D you got that right..:D

well there really is nothing to break in in a turbo once you got oil pressure and go around the block one time to make sure its lubed up good crank er up

actually i find that it makes good power from around 18 and up but after you get in the 22 range it really wakes up..:eek:

must have good fuel and chip to go up there ..

I bought it from a board member and I believe it came with the turbo. I got it before all the problems arose but I hope it holds up.

break in period

I just put a new 63-1 from precision on my car last week. My driveway is about 100ft long. That's all I reccomend:D