Just cracked 2nd starter housing in 30 minutes... WTF?!?!?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

I'm installing a new starter, bought a lifetime replacement (luckily) from Advance Auto. Before taking it home, I compared it to the old one, and they look pretty much identical so far as I can tell. When I first tried to install it, I cleaned the bolt threads and the threads in the block, and checked the bolts for straightness. The torque value I got from GNTType.org was 35 ft.-lbs. I got both bolts started, and started to torque them down, alternating bolt to bolt. At WELL below 35 ft.-lbs the damn starter housing cracked, at the nose, right where the hole is for the longer of the two bolts. I was frustrated, thinking I maybe got a bad rebuild or something. Luckily I live near the auto parts store, so I exchanged it, and started to install the new one, after verifying that my wrench was set to 35. Again, WELL before 35 ft lbs (if i had to guess maybe 15) this starter cracked in the exact same place.

After having two crack I assume I'm doing something wrong here, but I can;t for the life of me figure it out. I've changed probably 30+ starters in my life (though never on the GN), so its not like this is new to me, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

ANY suggestions before I take THIS one back and sheepishly ask for another exchange from Advance? Are the torque values published on GNTType correct? It really didn't take much tightening at all before the damn thing cracked, i've cheked the block surface and there doesn;t seem to be anything goofy there that would stress the starter housing. I'm at a loss, please help.

Just a guesse here, but I would think there is something hanging up on the starter keeping it from butting up against the block flat.

That was my assumption too... though I can;t figure out what. I was really hoping there was some common problem on these cars, and someone would say "oh yeah, that happens all the time unless you ______" or something like that.

Well, I'm going to exchange this for ANOTHER one and try again, and REALLY make sure theres nothing between the block and starter or anything. I don;t know what else to do.

The OE starter bolts have a knurled area on them to help with backing out..perhaps the housing holes need a little clearancing .:confused:

GC

nothing really new,parts houses sells bad parts everyday........many times ive bought four or more "new defective" parts before.......:mad: if everything looks striat/flat/smooth try again........

If you have a local source for a known Buick starter, you may want to verify that Advance has not been giving you the wrong one.

Well, I got a 3rd starter. When I was there, I had them pull out my old core, which I had dropped off earlier today, and compared just to make sure. They look pretty much identical, and are dimensionally the same. The old one was fine (never cracked) so maybe I just got real unlucky and got two bad ones in a row. Hopefully it won't be three.

I have gotten bad 'new' parts from the store before, which is why I wasn;t surprised when the first one cracked. The odds of 2 in a row being bad are getting a little thinner, though certainly possible.

If anyone with a factory service manual can do me a huge favor and double-check to see if the torque value for starter bolts is 35 ft-lbs as GNTType says, I would really appreciate it. My big question now is, do I try to torque this one down to 35 as well (and maybe risk cracking it too) or should I snug it up plus a little to avoid cracking yet another housing?

Just recieved my new mini starter from turbobuicks overnight. Only weighs 8LBS.
They are still available on sale for $99 brand new..Looks great..no shims needed comes with all the hardware.,,,john

From the bible...

Attachments

• Bolt-Torque.jpg
    Bolt-Torque.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 387
who has the mini's, thanks

Ron

Just about any vendor on the board. Shop around. Or for that matter you can get one at your local parts house. Just ask for Starter for an LT1 camaro or LT4 Vette.

Have you checked the mounting surfaces flatness

you mean flatness, squareness of the block or the starter?? so you are talking about the starter mounting pad, correct.

Ron

you mean flatness, squareness of the block or the starter?? so you are talking about the starter mounting pad, correct.

Ron

Yea. The mounting pad.

Some pictures of the cracked starter would help

From the bible...

Hey, Jeremy, I have your CD Manual, TurboBuicks, but where on the CD is this torque specification chart as the one you just posted?:confused: I can't find it. Is it on the CD or will I have to go to the shop manuals? Just wanting to know.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Hey, Jeremy, I have your CD Manual, TurboBuicks, but where on the CD is this torque specification chart as the one you just posted?:confused: I can't find it. Is it on the CD or will I have to go to the shop manuals? Just wanting to know.

Bruce '87 Grand National

It's in section 6a General Engine Mechanical. Page 44 as far as Acrobat is concerned.

It's page 6A5-16 according to the manual. :)

It's in section 6a General Engine Mechanical. Page 44 as far as Acrobat is concerned.

It's page 6A5-16 according to the manual. :)

I'll be damned!!:eek: How'd you know that????:tongue: Hey, I appreciate your help, thank you, I should have looked harder. Thanks for setting me straight. Love the CD. Better than a novel.:p

Bruce '87 Grand National