jet-hot?

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
I know it's supposed to greatly reduce temps. Anyone ever jet-hot the downpipe? Turbo Housing and/or heat shield?

Hopefully soon I'll be sending out my ATR headers to get coated and thought maybe I'll send other parts too.

Do a search in the TR section and you'll see a lot of talk on this. Coating the downpipe is a great idea. It really helps keep underhood temps down and will help save the parts local to the pipe like hoses,wires, etc. The downpipe doesn't get nearly as hot as the headers so the coating will last.

The headers are another story. You really need the 2000 degree coatings. Last I knew, Jet Hot makes a few colors but they are dull. Swain Technology makes a different kind of white coating that will not burn off, but it's rough textured.

There may be newer alternatives but 99% of the coaters use something called Cermakrome (or a derivative) and their "hi-temp" solution is to coat both the inside and outside of the pipe. These solutions tend to be not as durable as the true higher-temp coating.

I know TR people that have down the heatshields and it works fine. I've seen some turbo housings done but have not seem them long-term.

I just had my headers and crossover coated by Jet-Hot with the 2000 coating in gray. They look fine and the texture/surface isn't really all that rough or bad looking. Jet-Hot did piss-me-off though because it took them twice as long to do the job as they told me and they coated the threads for the O2 bung and crossover nuts when I told them several times not to. I had the chase the threads out afterwards.

To answer your question, I opted not to coat the downpipe and turbine housing since Jet-Hot would not coat the inside of these pieces like they did on the headers and crossover. The puck and arm on the downpipe is the reason for not doing the inside of this piece and I guess the intricate shape and tight clearances of the inside of the turbine housing keeps them from doing that piece. I didn't think it was smart to just do the outside of those pieces (I figured the coating would eventually crack because of the high heat and thermal expansion of the substrate steel) and besides the turbine housing coating cost would be $110 (I think that's what they quoted me) and I just couldn't justify that expense. I didn't ask about the heat shield.

Good point about the wastegate mechanism on the downpipe. I have an external wastegate so it wasn't an issue for me and I didn't think about the THDP style.

These places are famous for coating the threads and things like that. Powdercoating is worse!

Always always always.

Send out anything with an 02 bung in it to be coated with a plug in its place.

Then they cant coat the threads.

Course if they do, all u really need to clean it out is a 18mm sparkplug thread saver. Avaialbe in your help section at your local auto store.

Also dont weld in extra bungs without a junk plug, 02 or pipeplug in it, they like to warp sometimes.

later
Jeremy