Jason in here..astroroof mess

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Well after about 2.5 hours it's all apart. Headliner is cracked in 5 places,fabric is all that's holding it together. Rust all in the sunroof frame,been leaking a long time,bet the floor pan looks similar. Plastic trim piece(grey) is cracked in 3 spots. And of course the seal is toast.

Jason I need that seal asap:tongue:I also need to figure out how the seal comes of the glass(another thread in the tech section). Figure it gonna take longer to put it back togther than taking it apart.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment.:)

Attachments

• P4270533 (Small).JPG
    P4270533 (Small).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 228
  • P4270532 (Small).JPG
    P4270532 (Small).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 228
  • P4270536 (Small).JPG
    P4270536 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 221
  • P4270535 (Small).JPG
    P4270535 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 218
  • P4270538 (Small).JPG
    P4270538 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 220
Steve, I sent it out yesterday, but I didn't know your last name. You are now Steve Victor. I already saw the plastic trim piece was cracked and I suspected the rust. I guess I'll have to address those issues another day. :mad:

Well the fitment of the headliner etc is definataly not gonna be that great!

What are all those tubes in picture two? I heard that those are drain tubes maybe? What are the condition of those? How does it look like they work?

What are all those tubes in picture two? I heard that those are drain tubes maybe? What are the condition of those? How does it look like they work?

Yup they are drain tubes. Drain lines run down the A pillars and C pillars. They all look fine. Sunroofs all leak in a trough,then water flows out the drains. When the seal deteriorated and the rate at which the water enters the trough is too much it will over flow and start to leak. See it on new cars also.

I will blow all the lines out with air as best I can before I put it back up. I also have a few other tricks I will do and hopefully the issue is resolved.

As I said before,the trim around the glass and headliner fitment is gonna be pretty crappy since this stuff is basically toast.

The cover for the dome light basically crumbled when I removed it also. There's a help part available that fits at the store.

Oh well, I can always have it recovered. I saw in the other thread that someone mentioned using 3m glue. Use the best stuff if possible. I'm sure you knew that, just elaborating. Did you get the seal today? Is it the correct one?

The board can not be recovered,it is cracked in several places(just like I forwarned b4 I touched it). It needs a new board,that can be covered. Glue will do nothing for it. It will crumble if material is removed.

I have the seal. I will glue it with weatherstrip glue(nothing better) tomorrow nite.:wink:

At least you're not using a glue stick like you said you would.

That's what I mean, about replacing the board too. I was reading the headboard thread and it made me think about my own one. It doesn't seem like a big deal to do.

At least you're not using a glue stick like you said you would.
I would appreciate it if you put a smiley after that statement like this:) I don't do halfa$$ work so I don't want any potential customers to get the wrong idea. And that statement did not come out of my mouth. :confused:

Bottom line is I will get the seal installed and all the roof stuff put back together. I will attempt to reinstall the trim peice on the glass and the headliner. If they are more trouble than they are worth in the trunk they go.
Like you said you can deal with it at a later date.

Sorry man, I was posting from my phone. I know you don't do half ass work, that's why I made the drive up there. From all the posts I've read and after meeting you and seeing your work, I know you're the most reliable, detail oriented Buick mechanic in the area. I'm just pulling you're chain and I know it will turn out good. After hanging around a bunch of guys for five years in the Navy, I probably joke around too much.

Job complete

Ok after Friday nite and Sat morning it's all back together. It was a lot more work than I orginally thought it would be,took me almost 10 hrs with all 4 nites/days combined..maybe that's because I am pickey. I was able to get all the trim reinstalled and I don't think anyone will be able to tell any difference. The cracks in the board don't show from the headliner side. They are on the light part of the board so that helps. And the trim peice looks like it did before.
Here are some pics.

I did remove a lot of the factory sound detaning materail because it was in bad shape and may hang up the trim board...pic 2

Attachments

• P4300544.jpg
    P4300544.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 150
  • P4300546.jpg
    P4300546.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 161
  • P4300552.jpg
    P4300552.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 155
  • P4300551.jpg
    P4300551.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 152
  • P4300547.jpg
    P4300547.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 155
3 more..

Attachments

• P5010554.jpg
    P5010554.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 139
  • P5010555.jpg
    P5010555.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 146
  • P5010556.jpg
    P5010556.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 146
Yeah man, after all the doomsaying, that shlt looks good! Thanks for doing it on such short notice!