January 22nd

According to their web page, gates open at 7, tech starts at 8, races start at 10. Sounds like they are planning on a lot of cars being there

I think I'll be there around 12. My uncle has some stupid thing he has to do for his duaghter. What a jerk :D

Anyone know what time races end?

well yet another disapointment like always at that track, there was a gazillion rice burners running 15's and 16's with their lawmowers and nothing much worth watching, by the time we go there at 8:30am all 400 slots were sold and we had no choice but to become spectators,this is the last time i go to that track..

I got to Fontana early, one GN there already, Morgan, saw a Buick with a chevy motor, crashed my car, saw a T type burn, where else can you do all that for only $20

Dean

Originally posted by beygon
I got to Fontana early, one GN there already, Morgan, saw a Buick with a chevy motor, crashed my car, saw a T type burn, where else can you do all that for only $20

Dean

I missed the crashed car part.:eek:

A few comments / observations from Saturday:

January 22nd was also "UTI Day" for the students at Universal Technical Institute (the mechanics school), and we learned from the track folks that a large number of the 400 available spots were pre-sold to UTI-ites. This would have been nice to know up front or at least have noted somewhere on California Speedway's website, as this contributed to a number of cars being turned away. Unfortunately, turbo troubles kept Neal sidelined this time around despite his efforts the night before to get the car ready in time. However, he still showed up to offer moral support along with Phil & his uncle, Sean, Brian and a number of their friends. Thanks guys!

Second, kudos to Jason Hall for hanging tough and being patient getting through tech so that we had four turbo cars running that day instead of three. He wound up in Group 8 and left the crowd gasping when he waxed a nitroused Viper GTS coupe on his third pass with his traction-limited 10.86 at 129 vs. the Viper's 11.11 at 130+. As I watched the cars file up to the timing booth the Viper was right behind Jason, and the driver of the Viper was not happy at all about having to stare at Jason's license plate while waiting for his timeslip.

Third, Randall Avenue-- the street across from the track entrance that serves as the waiting area before the gates open-- needs to be aggressively patrolled by the Fontana PD. There were a handful of import idiots trying to impress their farm animal-loving boyfriends by using the street as an impromptu test 'n tune track at six in the morning, a very uncool thing to do seeing as people live there.

Fourth, I was surprised at the lack of traction despite being in the first group of 50, and being in the first dozen or so cars that ran in the morning. My best 60-foot was a 1.637 which stunk; poor 60-foots combined with a car that refused to run any leaner than 860mv despite a new chip and running only 36 psi of fuel pressure (line off) meant I was in for a long day. On my third pass boost was fairly well everywhere; upon arriving home and checking further with a strong flashlight I discovered the line to the boost gauge had kinked and split open right where it tees into a vacuum line--- not good.

With regard to arriving at 8:30 and having "....no choice but to become spectators"...if you got there at 8:30 that's 2.5 hours too late, and the early bird gets the tech card as the first event of the year always has an abnormally high turnout rate (I got there at 5:45 and wound up being the third vehicle through tech.) At any rate, hopefully you'll have a change of heart and plan ahead to come out in March, make a run at a solid 12-teen or better and see how the car performs in the last 1/8th. Plus, the more serious Buicks we have means less lawnmower imports the spectators have to watch! ;)

Hey Morgan, Great to see the car in action sorry you couldn't get the desired traction. We had a lot of fun hanging out with Tracer and talking with your wife you are all super cool. By the way I got the incredibles burned for Tracer on DVD and would be more than happy to come drop it off just let me know when. see ya soon

Brian

Originally posted by beygon

Dean

I received my fire science degree.:D

Yeah Frank nice job playing fireman! Abner almost screwed himself by using the blanket!

I remember yelling fire and looking around and NO ONE even flinched. We were on our own little island.:confused:

Phil