It's Turbo Time...

zeus87gn

Automotive Neurosurgeon
Bad afternoon this past sunday. Was chainging the oil in ol' Zeus and noticed wet oil leaking from the bottom corner of the stock I/C. So it's time to rebuild/replace the turbo....and the I/C.

The questions:
1 - Where can I get the stock turbo properly rebuilt for a reasonable price? Last time I checked there was no play in the shaft, but I have read that home rebuilds usually don't go well and I don't want to mess it up. I will leave it to a pro.

2 - Would it be a good idea to put on the TE44 that I want for the rebuild at this time? 193k miles on the clock (right at 200 if you factor in the % error for the tire size) and good compression, but back in 2000 (at app 140k) I did find crank play although I can't find it now. I believe the 44 flows more cfm, but at the same boost level (16psi) would the motor know the difference?

3 - Out of all the stretch SLIC that are available, which one is the best in your opinion?

4 - Maybe it's time for that rebuild party?

turbonetics

I got my stock turbo rebuilt by turbonetics. I had them bore it out to a stage 3, they made the turbine and compressor as big as the stock housing could fit, and I also had them convert it to a ceramic ball bearing. It is so much fun on the street. It spools up in a blink of the eye. If u have the funds, get a ball bearing turbo or convert your stock one.

pat,if you go back stock,just order the center section if you can,ive rebuilt several.

I got my stock turbo rebuilt by turbonetics. I had them bore it out to a stage 3, they made the turbine and compressor as big as the stock housing could fit, and I also had them convert it to a ceramic ball bearing. It is so much fun on the street. It spools up in a blink of the eye. If u have the funds, get a ball bearing turbo or convert your stock one.

What did that stock turbo rebuild/conversion cost? Do you know which aftermarket turbo it would be equivalent to?

I had my stock turbo rebuilt from a Garrett vendor. I had a new center housing installed, because the old was bad. Everything was balanced, cleaned, and worked out great. It set me back 275.00, and lasted on my car till I up-graded to a PT-61.

It coast me a little over $900, but that is because i had a crack in my exhaust housing, and had it replaced. I had it done through a company called Dynamic Autosports, in lake forest CA. They say its a stage 3, 60-1.

It coast me a little over $900, but that is because i had a crack in my exhaust housing, and had it replaced. I had it done through a company called Dynamic Autosports, in lake forest CA. They say its a stage 3, 60-1.

I know about Dynamic Autosports. I have been doing business with them for many years. 900.00, is that for a new turbo or a rebuild? :confused: Where abouts in South OC are you?

It was suppost to be a rebuild, but after replacing the turbine housing and the internals, it was pretty much a new turbo. Im in Anaheim hills, where u at in the OC.