It's freakin' hot!!

airwolf

Need a little A/C help! My A/C works when it wants to. Sometimes when I turn it on the compressor won't come on at all. Sometimes if I rev the motor it will come on and sometimes not. When it comes on it stays on and the air is nice and cold. Also the fan doesn't work on high. It did this before and when I adjusted the TPS it started working right, even the high setting worked. Now that it's over 100 degrees, I can't get the stupid thing to work at all. Any A/C smart folks got any ideas?? HELP!!! This black car gets REALLY HOT!! Thanks in advance

I'm not an AC expert, but part of your problem sounds like it may be the pressure switch on the compressor. My GN's AC would work intermittently, and when it did, it cooled great. That's what the problem was. As far as your fan high speed problem, I don't know. HTH

The high speed fan problem is probably caused by a corroded connection of the high speed power wire. There is a black connector by the passenger side fender near the antenna that becomes corroded. It is located kind of between the blower motor and the pass. fender and has a thick red wire in it. Pull that connector apart and clean it. That should fix the high speed fan problem. Also, on the a/c not always working, pull the pressure switch plug off the switch at the accumulator and put a jumper wire in the plug and see if the a/c clutch comes on. If so, replace the switch or try turning the little screw inside the switch to make it come on earlier.

a/c

Thanks URSPANKED and 1970gsx, I'll try what you guys suggested and I'll post results later tonight. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply!

Check your grounds on the back of the passenger side head and also the one bolting to the top transmission bolt. The ground for the fan and compressor should be tide to these. I had a similar problem with mine and found a loose ground.
I would WOT the car and it would work for a few minutes and then go off. I would switch it on inside and it would work sometimes but not all the time. I finally chased the ground after checking the power wires. Could be it.

A/C

Once again you guys were right on the money! Found the red wire for the high speed, cleaned the connection and it all started working. I also cleaned the connection on the pressure switch and now the a/c comes on every time. You guys rock!! Thanks for the help, now it's not so freakin' hot!! Gonna go and clean every connection I can find!