It's Alive...

The oil leak has been defeated! Actually, it was a couple small leaks, one for the bottom of a valve cover, one from the fitting on the pan from the oil return from the turbo, and a little bit on the back or the oil pan gasket. All has been repaired, and I drove it around the block last night before the rain came down. The Car will see the track this weekend no doubt!

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 428
turbocliff said:
The oil leak has been defeated! Actually, it was a couple small leaks, one for the bottom of a valve cover, one from the fitting on the pan from the oil return from the turbo, and a little bit on the back or the oil pan gasket. All has been repaired, and I drove it around the block last night before the rain came down. The Car will see the track this weekend no doubt!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wickedv6 said:
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what hasn't been so awsome, is the following:

#1) went to dyno tune last friday night and didn't end up doing anything but keep hitting a wall at 5500 rpm which I hope was due to bad valve springs (wrong valve springs)

3) picked up the new srpings from my cam guy friday night, and spent saturday changing them on the trailor in my driveway, as well as switching plugs, checking plug gap, re-lashing all the rockers, ect.,ect.

4) Sat night went up to real street drags at Union Grove only to get rained out in tech.

5) Sunday: stared at the car all day after calling Byon in the morning to find out it was raining on and off all day.....

6) Has not been back to the Dyno yet because I've been working late all week (except for tuesday of course)...

I want to drive the car in a bad way... My plan is to worst case scenario be at Byron with the car on sunday with the Chicagoland Buick Club. Maybe I'll sign up for the 12.00-12.99 bracket race... :rolleyes:

turbocliff said:
Well what hasn't been so awsome, is the following:

#1) went to dyno tune last friday night and didn't end up doing anything but keep hitting a wall at 5500 rpm which I hope was due to bad valve springs (wrong valve springs)

3) picked up the new srpings from my cam guy friday night, and spent saturday changing them on the trailor in my driveway, as well as switching plugs, checking plug gap, re-lashing all the rockers, ect.,ect.

4) Sat night went up to real street drags at Union Grove only to get rained out in tech.

5) Sunday: stared at the car all day after calling Byon in the morning to find out it was raining on and off all day.....

6) Has not been back to the Dyno yet because I've been working late all week (except for tuesday of course)...

I want to drive the car in a bad way... My plan is to worst case scenario be at Byron with the car on sunday with the Chicagoland Buick Club. Maybe I'll sign up for the 12.00-12.99 bracket race... :rolleyes:

Sorry Cliff,

Don't tell me about turbo blue balls, I think I hold the record! :eek:
Go out there and do it this weekend!! :D

John Wilde said:
Sorry Cliff,

Don't tell me about turbo blue balls, I think I hold the record! :eek:
Go out there and do it this weekend!! :D

Well here's the latest:

Made it the dyno on friday night... but forgot my laptop :eek:

Anyway, figures we'd make a pull to make sure that we see 7000rpm, since we already knew I have a safe 18-20* tune in it @ 18psi....

IT DID THE SAME DAMN THING, AND HIT A WALL @ 5500RPM!!! :mad:

So while I was making calls, a friend of mine decided to add 2psi of base fuel pressure to see if it would change anything, and it did. This time it bobbled at 5500, then rpmd to about 6000.... So at least we know it was not a mechanical problem, but rather a tuning or related issue.

So while I didnt make it to the track after that, I spent sunday morning tiding up a few items that I wanted to clean-up, and then after some discussion with a couple buddies about whether or not the rpm issue would occur in 1st or 2nd gear, or maybe not at the track at all, I decided to test our theory on the street..

Needless to say, after a lil burn out, I decided to roll into it at about 4000 in 1st... almost immediately I shifted at about 7900rpm (much higher than I plan on shifting this car) then wound 2nd gear to 7600, clicked third and let off as traction was an issue through this whole process, which only lasted a few seconds at the most. :D

Unfortunately, because of rpm issues on the dyno, I do not have any accurate #'s, and I have not been to the track yet, but will soon.

Best I can tell ya, is it made 668rwhp @ 5850rpm @ 18psi, with only 20* of timing on C16...

Cliff,

You are killing me that you forgot your lap top!
Does the Dyno at least have a wide band o/2 so you
could see your Air to Fuel Ratio?
What are you shooting for as a target?
What are your Air Inlet Temps?

If everything is ok you can sneek up to 25* and pick up some power.
Since your turbo is not a standard Garrett piece, I am not sure where you are on the map. I do know that you have a couple hp on the table there as well.

Good luck!!! :cool:

John Wilde said:
Cliff,

You are killing me that you forgot your lap top!
Does the Dyno at least have a wide band o/2 so you
could see your Air to Fuel Ratio?
What are you shooting for as a target?
What are your Air Inlet Temps?

If everything is ok you can sneek up to 25* and pick up some power.
Since your turbo is not a standard Garrett piece, I am not sure where you are on the map. I do know that you have a couple hp on the table there as well.

Good luck!!! :cool:

Forgetting the laptop really pissed me off...
The Dyno did have a wideband... was at 11.3 first pull, added 2psi of base fuel, and second pass was 11.6... weird.. but did gain 500rpm.
I'd like my target A/F to be about 11.0
Haven't looked into inlet temps, but when we go to the track next I will let you all know what I see on the data log. I'm done with the dyno for now since I seem to be able to pull through 7500rpm on the street without any problems... :eek:

I'll keep you posted-

Cliff

turbocliff said:
Forgetting the laptop really pissed me off...
The Dyno did have a wideband... was at 11.3 first pull, added 2psi of base fuel, and second pass was 11.6... weird.. but did gain 500rpm.
I'd like my target A/F to be about 11.0
Haven't looked into inlet temps, but when we go to the track next I will let you all know what I see on the data log. I'm done with the dyno for now since I seem to be able to pull through 7500rpm on the street without any problems... :eek:

I'll keep you posted-

Cliff

News. pictures.....anything????
Hook a brother up! :eek:

turbocliff said:
Tomorrow night at Great Lakes Dragaway! I'll take some video and pics! Wish me luck! ;)

Wish I could go, but its like a 3 hour drive with decent traffic. Plus I have work Friday.

Bring it out to central and Ill take the smack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow night. PS where is the wheelie bars?

SPOT MY 6 said:
Bring it out to central and Ill take the smack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow night. PS where is the wheelie bars?

I just might take it down by you soon.. :eek:

Wheelie bars are for sissies...

Hm...I go to UTI in Glendale Heights. I was driving my beater Ford Contour on a recent Friday, and I saw a GN with drag slicks on a trailer going down Army Trail rd. I thought "damn it, every time I don't drive my GN, I see another one on the road".

Any chance it was you? From what you've said in this thread it sounds like you use a full trailer, not just a drive-on, so maybe not.

Either way, can't wait for some pix and video.

Turbo6Chicago said:
Hm...I go to UTI in Glendale Heights. I was driving my beater Ford Contour on a recent Friday, and I saw a GN with drag slicks on a trailer going down Army Trail rd. I thought "damn it, every time I don't drive my GN, I see another one on the road".

Any chance it was you? From what you've said in this thread it sounds like you use a full trailer, not just a drive-on, so maybe not.

Either way, can't wait for some pix and video.

Yea, I live in Glendale Heights, and my trailor is an open trailor. I bud of mine used his trailor a couple times for me (enclosed), but mine is just an open bobcat trailor that primarily is for my work. If it was being pulled by a Blue Suburban, then that was me! :)

turbocliff said:
Yea, I live in Glendale Heights, and my trailor is an open trailor. I bud of mine used his trailor a couple times for me (enclosed), but mine is just an open bobcat trailor that primarily is for my work. If it was being pulled by a Blue Suburban, then that was me! :)

It was probably you then, blue Suburban seems to ring a bell. I only got a glimpse of it, but I could see the front mount shining through the grille and the big slicks in back. :cool: