Issue with smoking

John S

My Syclone seems to be smoking, i did a leakdown and they were all about 8%, from what i am told this is good, at idle it doesnt seem to smoke, when brought to 3k it starts to smoke, then when you release the throttle is when it really starts puffing bad, then the 02 reading drops to around 10, the truck is still pretty out of tune, how can i rule out certain parts,turbo, rings, valve seals? i pulled the 02 and it doesnt have any traces of oil, but the plugs have slight slight oil on them from what i can tell, has anyone had valve seals do this to them? or bad guides? any info would be great, im trying to tune the fast but it seems that the smoking is messing me up, oh and there is some slight smoke coming outta the breather

thanks John S

I have a 90 Gran Prix 3.1 turbo that smoked at idle. Everything checked out fine - the problem was a cloged oil return line from the turbo. This may not be your problem, but its worth checking into.

BUT, Smoke coming out of the breather could mean you have bad rings or a blown headgasket. (I dont think these cars have valve stem seals)

thanks for the response, i am running the new GTZ-42R garret ballisitc series turbo, i was told to run a #6 an for supply and i ran a #10 for the return, in your issue was the oil getting past the seals into the exhaust? should i be able to pull the turbo apart and see traces of oil in the exh. housing?

thanks John S