Is this dash possible?

cfish462

ok so my gn's dash is all F'ed up, the tach lights are always on, the boost lights dont work, it has a 145 speedo but a bad recalibration job so the needle is jumpy(previous owners work) and the fuel level guage dosent go past half full. so i was wondering if this is possible; i want to remove the gauge cluster and replace it with a piece of metal and run just a speedometer and a tach in the dash cluster and have the fuel level guage in the space on the lower right where the rear defroster would be, (i dont have that option so its an open space). i know i will need a new sending unit in the gas tank but what about the mph and the tach? oh and i dont care if the odometer is covered up but i need to have it right? im 17 and not springing over $800 for a gnx cluster so any thoughts would be helpful, thanks cameron.

Have you checked

the speedo cable, it is usually responseable for the jumping of the needle. you have to remove it and grease it up. just clean it first, most of the time it gets gummed up from the age and ware of use. there are two sections to it, so don't forget to get the both of them. As for the f/level gauge, you can remove the pump assy. and fix it. I believe there is a thread on how to adjust it. this won't cost nothing but time. also, if you check all the "for sale" items, you can find, at times, gnx dashes for sale. I have seen them from 450 to 650. :)
You really need to have a good boost gage, at least 30#/20" of vac. and some type of scan tool to help keep your headgaskets. :eek:
by the way, if your speedo is actually out of cal. you can have it re-cal'd at kirban's or possibly local. I 'm not sure how your state looks at dash gages, but they may be strict on their requirements.
Hope this helps. :biggrin:

thanks for the help. its just i like the look of only a 160 speedo and a tach on the dash, i have a boost and knock sensor in a pod under the radio and i removed the a/c so in its place is a temp guage and oil press. so there is no possible way to run only the two guages?

?Sorry,

I miss understood you, I was thinking it was just an option if you weren't able to get the dash working correctly. Contact John Spina at www.casperselectronics.com He will be able to help you, he might even have a ready made harness to symplify the change. :biggrin:

Be careful about leaving things out. For example, the "Gen" idiot light in the dash is part of the charging circuit, and if you eliminate that light, the alternator won't work any more. Casper's can help with that, too, but IMO it would be cheaper to fix the stock dash than to replace it. But if you just like the "look", well then, go for it.