is this common for buicks??

spoolinawdtsi

Ihave a recently purchased 87 buick turbo, i put rims on the back 8 in weld with 3.5 backspacing, drivers side tucks under fender nicely, put passenger side sticks out past fender, an would rub top of tire if i hit a bump.
could this car have been wrecked , i dont have the title yet so not sure if its a rebuild?
Is this common, for a car that might have been raced?
Is there a place i can go to run the vin # to see if its been rebuilt?:( :confused:

yes and yes, for checking the VIN use www.carfax.com, it costs money but if you're that worried probably worth it. As for the wheels, it is common for the rearend to not be perfectly centered in the chassis, as for how to correct it, hopefully someone knows because I can't remember.

Thanks,

The car could need body bushings, too. I've heard that will cause the body not to sit properly on the frame. My '86 GN is like this. There is less space between the tire and frame on the ps than the ds. The car has never been wrecked.

Later,

Steve.

Body bushings or it has been race alot w/ the stock control arms not boxed. I've read some post where the rearend had shifted due to the lower control arms being a little tweaked. I think there's a lot of cars out there like that. I know the body is a little off on mine. So I'm getting ready to replace all the body bushings and add a new set of coil springs in the rear. Sounds more like your rearend has shifted some. Pull the wheels and measure from the drum area to the frame on both sides. If it's the same, then you may need to do body bushings/missing body bushing and have the body alined.

thanks guys.
yeah i measured from drum to frame, its the same on both sides plus i measured frame to outer fender lip an its the same! So im like wtf is the deal.
thanks guys ill check the body bushings, and links to the rear.
Im just trying to get that lowered look with the fat tire tucked under the fender, an right now it has the old nostagia style lok now i just need a straight axle in front lol

if the measurments are all the same sounds like you got two different backspaceings on the rims ..

switch sides with the wheels and see if the problem follows the wheel