IS this a good trans to start with?

'75

My buddy wants a 2004R in his 78 Corvette, has around 340 hp small block. The trans I found is supposed to be from an 83 Regal T type. The rear tag has the printed code gone, but on the bottom of the tag is stamped OG81 9-10 80. The valve body has BR3 ink stamped on it and the servo cover is 8635692. The numbers on the bottom of the tag don't match what I've found, can anyone decipher it? I'm thinking for the rebuild I will go with a standard rebuild kit,10 vane pump and hardened rings, hardened stator support, kevlar band, and a larger throttle valve. Suggestions welcome.

I thought the buick transmissions would need a adapter BOP . Buick,Pontiac Oldsmobile I think maybe a 700 would be a better choice if your wanting overdrive

I thought the buick transmissions would need a adapter BOP . Buick,Pontiac Oldsmobile I think maybe a 700 would be a better choice if your wanting overdrive

Monte Carlo SS uses the 2004R behind a 305 SBC so no adapter needed.

There are some BOP-only 2004R transmissions out there but they are fairly uncommon. Most are multi-pattern and will fit Chevys, Buicks, Olds, Pontiac and Caddy.

I've already got one of these in my 75 vette, it fits. The 700 has too deep a 1st gear and too low overdrive. Plus the 700 requires the drive shaft to be shortened. The 2004r is the perfect fit, no mods to the car other than adding electrical for the lock up. This trans has the multi fit case.

I would like to know where is the best place to install the sender for the temp gauge, in the pan or elsewhere?

Skip the Kevlar band, very hard on the drum. Get a carbon band. Skip the 10 vane kit and stay with 7 if pump is in good condition. Put new hard rings in and a sonnax slide spring. Inspect vanes. Replace if necessary. Hard stator support and hard sun shell..500boost valve and larger rev boost valve and the 700spring.
Check the drum for being out of round and cupped. Read the sticky for direct clutch setup.
By your numbers that is out of an 81 so it needs a bearing to replace the bushing in the planetary. I don't think that vb is the same as the 86-87 brf but I've not seen one in person, just going off what another member described he has. Not that it is a bad vb but not the same.
Let me know if you want more suggestions. I have a bunch of links and so does 77cruiser and 64ssedan.
Meanbuicks ain't to shabby in 2004r knowledge either and their are a bunch of other gurus who post(bison, alkyv6, quickt, ck718...)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Upon further study of your numbers there I am of the opinion someone has been into that trans. The "692" servo and the br3 vb aren't jiving with the OG on the tag. What does the governor look like? Big and small weights? One or two springs? Speedo gear color?

OK, I got the trans opened up, looks pretty good inside except, the accumulator spring is broken, Kit has a new one. Also the wind up spring for the TV linkage at the valve body is broken, can anyone tell me where to get one? i don't see it listed on any of the parts sites I've been to.

Upon further study of your numbers there I am of the opinion someone has been into that trans. The "692" servo and the br3 vb aren't jiving with the OG on the tag. What does the governor look like? Big and small weights? One or two springs? Speedo gear color?

The governor gear color is neutral or yellow and has 11 teeth. The governor has 2 springs and the weights are similar to each other.

Ok, next problem, I found this spring no the floor, I know it came from this trans, just not sure where. Anybody know?

Ok, next problem, I found this spring no the floor, I know it came from this trans, just not sure where. Anybody know?

Did you take the pump apart? Might be from under the slide pin.
I don't remember one that short/small from anywhere else.
On the accumulator spring just replace it with a new one.
You need to "pin" the spring in the governor to prevent it from being thrown out. Much easier while you have it apart.

Ok, this trans has been in the car for a few months and working good. The one thing I noticed is that it wont shift to 4th till the car is around 45 mph at light throttle. I was just reading in the CK Performance manual and it indicates that a 87 br valve body and governor shifts into 4th at 43 mph. I guess the 83 br is the same shift point. The thing that seems strange is that when the shifter is in OD and the trans is in 3rd and you let off the accelerator, it doesn't have engine braking, the engine will go down to idle. If the shifter is in 3rd and the trans is also in 3rd, then let off the accelerator, it does have engine braking. Is this normal?

My car has a AA trans in it and shifts into 4th at low speeds, so I wouldn't know if it acts the same or not as far as no engine braking like the one with the Br trans. I just got done with a CQ trans also but won't install it till warmer weather. I'll be starting on a CZ trans tomorrow. I appreciate all the help here.