is the 502 ci chevy a good block to do.

wiked87gn

Banned
is the 502 ci chevy a good block to do a twin turbo set up, anybody know how reliable this motor is, if i am correct is a 1992 motor low mileage,how much boost will it hold before it goes kaboomm??

thanks

IMHO, I would build something smaller.
No offense to the guys who like Conley's new Tweaked car, but I personally dont think the turbo big blocks are all that impressive.
Call me biased, but a well prepped twin turbo small block is definitely more impressive.
Btw, 1992 is the first year for the Gen 5 castings of which GM changed the water jackets. This meaning that older heads will not work. To most guys, the Gen 5 engines arent worth building as there are too many differences.

I saw a nice 540 on the dyno at Duttweiler's the last time I was out there. It was a street motor with a mild cam, twin 76 turbos, etc. It made 1000 hp on 94 octane pump gas. That sounds attractive to me. :)

Plenty of guys have made 2000-2200hp with a turbo small block, so unless you plan on making more than that and running it up against the Pro Mod cars I'd use a small block!:) BTW, how much HP you looking to make with a twin turbo V8?? Boost has nothing to do with how long the block will last rather it's HP that matters!

Originally posted by KendallF
I saw a nice 540 on the dyno at Duttweiler's the last time I was out there. It was a street motor with a mild cam, twin 76 turbos, etc. It made 1000 hp on 94 octane pump gas. That sounds attractive to me. :)

Yeah but Meaney made 1300hp on pump gas with a twin turbo (two PT-52 turbos) 406ci SBC so again you really don't need a big block!!!:D

Rather than use a 502 why not use a standard 350 chevy block and a pair of 60-1 turbos.... Lou Czarnota made around 900rwhp and ran 9.0's @150+mph with this setup:)

502's don't impress me

My uncle stuffed a 502/502 in his 82 vette - and my little 6 beats in by almost a second and a half in the 1/4 :D I told him his probelm is between the seat and the steering wheel.

Build a small block:

1: Lighter
2: Cheaper
3: Did I mention Cheaper

Maybe hes doing it for the cool factor. Kinda like people who build roots blown big blocks. If it were me, I would do a small block. But Im not much of a chevy guy.

We built a 540 69 Camaro (Gen5) last year with a FAST system and a non intercooled Procharger that made 1040hp at the rear wheels on 13# of boost with 93 octane. The car went 9.30's at 148 on MT Sportsman tires through the muffs. A BBC is phenominally strong compared to the Bv6 or SBC, a few mods and you have the ultimate in reliability (and weight!!!)
Bill

Check out this guys car.

427 small block, twin turbo. 1200HP/1000lbs.tq.

www.montygwilliams.com

If you really want a big block, go for an earlier 454 or 427 or something. Like it was said before these new Gen 5's aren't worth it.

I;ve been told that the Mark V & VI blocks have thin castings on the cylinder walls. I am going to use a World products Merlin II block(454). But i am going single turbo. A single 88 should get an easy 900-1000 on pump gas. The real question is do you lean to one side when you sit, in other words do you have a FAT wallet ? If you do then build a big block, if not go with a peewee one.Don't let the peewees scare you , most are just use to working with small things.:D What kind of car are you trying to build? That makes a difference as to how much you can stuff under the hood.

it will go into a 86 GN body..

it will go into a 86 GN body :D with a 400turbo trannie,4,000 stall NL, not sure what i want for the rear yet..

Have you ever seen a big block in one of these cars? Turboed or not. See if you can find one and get some pictures, it could help make your discision on using a big block or small block. On mine i'm having to relocate the battery so i have a place to put the turbo. And having a 5 inch exhaust coming off the turbo makes mine just another thing you have to make room for. Try and make a plan and stick to it, are you going to intercool? If yes , are you going to have one or two. Is this a street car or track? If street do you want air conditioning? Specialty Products Design has a lot of big block flanges for making headers, tubing, j-bends,u-bends and turbo flanges. On another note i talked to you awhile back about your TA-60, i ended up with a TA-61. Now it looks like i have to get a new trans and a little stall.

I have pics, or a pic. This is a 502 in a '87 Cutlass.

21214683.jpg

Originally posted by 86brick
Rather than use a 502 why not use a standard 350 chevy block and a pair of 60-1 turbos....

Why not a "BUICK"350???

Lighter weight, longer stroke. Best with '70 "BUICK" heads.:)

I would go big block because:

Stronger block
Heads flow much better than a small block. Means more hp on pump gas.

downsides

weight
not much room for plumbing
will destroy anything except the toughest rear end and tranny

I wouldnt do a 502 though. The siamese cylinder bores are weaker and dont cool as well. similar to the 4.1 v6 problems.

I would do a 468 or a 496;)

I would do a 350 or a 383 and make the same power on pump gas and for less money. I dont know someone doing that ;)

Originally posted by buickman69
Why not a "BUICK"350???

Lighter weight, longer stroke. Best with '70 "BUICK" heads.:)

I would LOVE to see somebody do this in a GN..low buck style. Modified stock or ATR headers, GN accessories, mild cam and perhaps a SyTy ECM...can you say pump gas stump puller?