Is the 204/214 cam the right choice for my combo???

The 204 has less intake duration so it should have more low rpm punch....:) I doubt that extra exhaust duration would have any negative effect but it may not have as much benefit as might be expected due to turbo backpressure. This is a subject better discussed by Todd, I think.

NO COMP CAMS FOR ME

comp cams is the most outdated cam copany on the market today.

all there cams i have ever run have been majorly lazy and just plain suck for making any REAL hp

my car has only bowl blend and gasket match to stock gaskets for head work
stock rotating assembly with total seal rings

so to pull 121.54 with not being tuned with a ta-49 should speak LOUDLY of the topend that is possible.

and traction is a hard thing to get with this car.

we will see what it will do with a desent tune once i find the $ to get another turbo and one that will make it thru a pass

with a stock d5 i had plenty of low end with this cam and the 49 and even with the 51 it felt good down low when not in it to hard to keep tration.

you'r looking at going over 3000 on the converter i feel you'll be loosing a lot with that much converter with a 49 turbo. i would recomend to stay in the 2800 range since these motors make the most torque in that range.

who cares about hp im after torque since torque is what moves things not hp.

high hp cams carry more lift and duration on intake while high torque cams are opposite which do you want?

Red's thanks for the responce. I thank everyone for their responce. I know what you are saying. I will be adding a bigger turbo in the near future and bigger injectors to go along with it. I just need some positive responce from my current combo to nudge me into the buying mode. I do know that the performance offered by the 208/208 cam did not get me going. Maybe I will get the push from the 204/214. I sure would like to see a 120 MPH time slip from my current combo. My car would make me proud and I would start to spend some money on it again. Does anyone see anything else wrong with my combo??? I am just a poor Buick guy wanting to go fast!!
Jim

are you still using the stock downpipe? valve springs? timing chain? converter? what tires? race fuel? chip?( ATR is way old tech) how much boost?

your combo on race gas & slicks should be in the 11's as is...a cam change will do nothing unless the one you have is flat....

I have a 3" downpipe and complete 3" exhaust system, New valve springs that came with my flat 208/208 cam, the timing chain is new, I used race gas (112), with 26X10.5 MT slicks, and 22 psi. My torque converter at the time was a stock D5 that would stall to 3000. I am now installing a new 3000+ converter, new cam to replace the flat 208/208 and new head gaskets. I am using Total Seal Rings and home ported heads. All gasket surfaces have been matched and I have recently added a power plate and SMC Alky kit. I know that everyone says that the ATR chip is old Technology but my car responded to it better than other chips I have tried including a Red's 108. The 12.44 ET was with the ATR chip ond only 20 # of boost. Maybe my problems are my lame combo, but I agree that the car should be much quicker. What is wrong here besides the guy that owns and drives the car???

right off the top I would say turn the boost up! When I had a '49 and similar combo, I ran 25+ and could do high 11's with 1.6x 60' times at about the speed you are running...I did have a trans brake so could launch hard (& red stripe converter)

that cam must be killing you....

is your trans good? no slipping?

Red and Jeasen,

I picked up a set of Total Seal rings (Max Seals) for my new engine and these were the ones they suggested. What did you use? Max Seals are $222 and the lesser grades are in the lower $150 range. Just wondering if I have sucker written on me?:confused: I also got the dry powder for ring seating. Anyone use it?

i just asked them the best ones to use in a turbo charged motor and they came up with their race series whick i think the only difference in the ones i got and the even lower grade is these are molly v/s iron..the ones you have must be something new they are testing...sure you didnt get them thru pte..:D they like to use others to do testing at our cost to test their products..
i think mine came up too around $170 ordered from summit

mine are file fit and the second ring it the gapless one.

are yours top ring gapless? at the time i ordered mine they didnt have top gapless for our bore sizes yet

never used that seating stuff..i did my normal and oiled up the skirt of the piston and left the rings dry.

Assuming the engine is solid...I suspect you would be in the 11's with race gas, a modern chip, 25# of boost and some traction.

Go back up and look at Mike's signature (TTA89). He bit his tongue and did not comment...His Ta is slicker in the air but still, 11.2s? stock cam, a V4 with no scoop, and a 51 turbo.

Everyone, thanks for your replies to this thread. I ordered the better grade of gapless rings. The ones with the better top ring for turbo charged and motors running nitrous. I think I paid around $175.00 for the set. As I recall they put together a special set for my bore size. I made several calls to the Total Seal tech line to get what I thought was the best for my engine. They put together the package and sent it to my supplier. It was not a package off the shelf.
Jim

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
i just asked them the best ones to use in a turbo charged motor and they came up with their race series whick i think the only difference in the ones i got and the even lower grade is these are molly v/s iron..the ones you have must be something new they are testing...sure you didnt get them thru pte..:D they like to use others to do testing at our cost to test their products..
i think mine came up too around $170 ordered from summit

mine are file fit and the second ring it the gapless one.

are yours top ring gapless? at the time i ordered mine they didnt have top gapless for our bore sizes yet

never used that seating stuff..i did my normal and oiled up the skirt of the piston and left the rings dry.
I checked mine and it is the gapless top ring. What ring gap did you guys use?