Is my torque converter unlocking correctly?

tlap

I have an '86 GN with the original 200R4 and torque converter with 43000 miles.
While cruising on the freeway should I notice if the torque converter unlocks when I start to pull a slight hill, or accelerate slightly?
I have performed the test of shorting terminals A to D on the ALDL. I do notice that the TCC will lock when the wires are shorted.
When I cruise on the freeway the TCC never noticeably unlocks unless I slightly push on the brake peddle, then I notice that the RPM will increase by a couple hundred.
I have also adjusted the brake peddle switches according to the manual.
Does this seem normal or should I have it checked at a shop?

At a certain throttle input, the TCC will cut off momentarily. If it seems too sensitive then you should make sure that your TPS is properly adjusted. Are you saying that when you forced TCC apply via the ALDL the TCC would still release?

It doesn't seem like the TC will unlock.
When I shorted the A to F on the ALDL the TC would lock. It seems like the lock up function is not sensitive enough maybe?

Oh, OK. It's not wanting to unlock. All the same, are you sure your TPS is working right and adjusted properly? Does the car have an aftermarket chip? Could be a programming issue.

The chip appears to be stock.
I have not checked the TPS adjustment yet, I will do that.

The unlock function is controlled by throttle position over time. Most chips are setup so the throttle position has to increase by 10% in 100ms. If you slowly increase throttle it will not unlock. If you increase the thottle position faster it will unlock. I set my chip so the increase only has to be 3% in 100ms. What you are experiencing is normal.

My Scanmaster indicates that the TPS is .40 at idle and 4.44 at WOT.
mikester, can you tell that the TC is unlocking when you give it a quick throttle increase? I mean, I notice an immediate RPM increase and boost increase when I give it more gas, I just cant tell if its the TC unlocking. And why does the brake switch have an effect on the TC unlocking?

My Scanmaster indicates that the TPS is .40 at idle and 4.44 at WOT.
mikester, can you tell that the TC is unlocking when you give it a quick throttle increase? I mean, I notice an immediate RPM increase and boost increase when I give it more gas, I just cant tell if its the TC unlocking. And why does the brake switch have an effect on the TC unlocking?

You will get a sudden increase in rpm if it unlocks. The power to the TCC solenoid is routed through the brake switch to insure the converter unlocks when you hit the brakes.