Is my MAF dead?

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
I put about 150 miles on the car today just messing around. Beat on it pretty hard but never had any knock or hesitation.

Coming home, driving 20 mph I started up a hill and gave it some gas and the car began to buck and tried to stall.

I could not give it any gas. Pulled over and popped the hood. Worked the throttle by hand and had smoke out the tailpipes while the engine bucked and stalled.

Screwed around under the hood for a few minutes and then unplugged the MAF. The engine smoothed out immediately and I could rev it by hand with no sputtering.

Plugged the MAF back in and it sputtered and died.

Drove home 5 miles at 50mph with the MAF unplugged and it was fine (I did not build boost).

I assume this means the MAF is dead?

I had the same situation with no knock but felt like it was cutting out. Mine would run fine at idle with the maf plugged in but if I tapped on it lightly it would stall.

So what is a good replacement? I could go back to stock but what do I need to use the new MAF's?

I went to the lt1 sensor and the trans plus from Mike at Full Throttle. To many bad stories about buying the reconditioned stockers.

Trucker,

can you tell me what is involved in switching to that?

I have a solid MAF pipe....then the stock MAF....then a 3-4" adapter (sewer pipe) then a 4"pipe that goes down behind the headlights to a K&N filter.

It is the Tin Man cold air setup.

The lt1 maf is three inch in diameter and is a perfect replacement for the stock maf. The length of the lt1 is approx 2 inches shorter than the stocker. The Trans plus is a plug in system that does allow you to make changes in fuel and spark. I haven't played with those features but works perfect with my chip from Red Armstrong. The maf I picked up from a junkyard. Mine came out of a Caprice. You could upgrade to the LS1 3.5 inch maf if you wanted to and use the Trans plus also. I did not want to change over my air intake setup.

I had this exact same problem in my TTA. Turned out to be the MAF as well. I upgraded to the LS1 MAF and got the translator plus. It has been on for a while now, i'd say about 500 miles, and has been running excellent. Hook up was very easy also. Only thing is the LS1 MAF is 3.5 inches so you will need a rubber hose reducer which can be picked up from www.fullthrottlespeed.com as well as the Translator. The LS1 MAF I picked up new from www.gmpartsdirect.com for something like 130 bucks. I forget exactly but it was cheap.

Also i'd guess the LT1 MAF to go just as easy so either way I don't think you can possibly go wrong.

Edit - LS1 MAF Part # 25179711 - $113.66