Is my brake switch bad? misadj?

dave34

maybe i was a little vague before but i have an 87 gn and had two problems occur on the same day first was my tranny would not down shift on its own when i came to a stop . had to manaully go thru gears and overdrive seems really delayed about 70mph. i had these exact symptoms 7 yrs ago and it was tcc sol. that fixed it . so this time i replaced sol again and same problem still and on that same test drive i lost power to the brakes , no power assist hard pedal brake light on all the time. so i tested 12v to pump motor and pressure sw. on top of p.m. i have power fuses ok . i depressurized motor and tested ign motor on time really long 15 secs roughly . but i dont think its bad . i was leaning more towards brake switch maybe misadj or bad or not enough volts . can a brake switch going bad for a while destroy or impede the power master and is this why my tcc sol. is not working correcly too ? has anyone trb. shooted this electrically before ? any wiring diagrams available? also none of these parts in question are older than 5 yrs less than 3oo0 miles . also would the vss sensor have anything to do with trans problem

The brake problem with a hard pedal sounds like the accumulator ball to me. I would be surprised if the tcc and the brake is related.

brake problem

In my experience, brake light on all the time and hard pedal usually indicates poor flow of brake fluid. The hard part is pin pointing what component is causing the problem? Could be proportioning valve, master cylinder, etc. etc.

I just had the exact same problem two days ago. I threw away Powermaster, went with vacuum brakes for $145 from Advanced Auto Parts. Problem fixed and brakes work much better. Just my $.02

thanks for the replys guys . i will get back with progress . i will treat these 2 problems seperately but its awful coincidental or plain horrible luck they started same day.

The 2 prong switch is the brake switch. The 3 prong is the TCC unlock switch and yes, either or both could be out of adjustment.

HTH - Jimmy