Is my 3" Downpipe Complete (pics inside) ... a few questions ---

alwayscode390

I bought this from a board member a few years ago and never even opened the box until tonight.

Is this setup complete?

Its a peice to the turbo with the wastegate puck inside ( does this mean its an INTERNAL wastegate?) and 4 bolts.

Then two more peices that make up the downpipe. All three peices slip together.

I saw a thread where they had a "test pipe" too ... I am confused at how I am supposed to connect this setup of mine to the exhaust. Do I need a test pipe with the flange that hooks up to the cat with a flange? Who sells the test pipes and the flange I need to put on my 3" universal cat ... or will most exhaust shops just use their own flanges for the end of the D.P. to the end of the Cat? My car is catless right now, and wont pass inspection without one, so I will be using the Magnaflow Universal 3" in / 3" out.

The first pic is my setup ... then the second is a picture I found on the forum with the test pipe peice I am missing.

Thanks for your help ---

ehn2w8.jpg

5l817b.png

24yq07a.jpg

I bought this from a board member a few years ago and never even opened the box until tonight.

Is this setup complete?

Its a peice to the turbo with the wastegate puck inside ( does this mean its an INTERNAL wastegate?) and 4 bolts.

Then two more peices that make up the downpipe. All three peices slip together.

I saw a thread where they had a "test pipe" too ... I am confused at how I am supposed to connect this setup of mine to the exhaust. Do I need a test pipe with the flange that hooks up to the cat with a flange? Who sells the test pipes and the flange I need to put on my 3" universal cat ... or will most exhaust shops just use their own flanges for the end of the D.P. to the end of the Cat? My car is catless right now, and wont pass inspection without one, so I will be using the Magnaflow Universal 3" in / 3" out.

The first pic is my setup ... then the second is a picture I found on the forum with the test pipe peice I am missing.

Thanks for your help ---

ehn2w8.jpg

5l817b.png

I Think it looks okay, I have a 2 piece on mine and looks like that, the waste gate is considered internal. I just can't remember what my test pipe looks like, but I bought the optional hi flo cat with my down pipe and it looks like your pic with a flange on one side and a 3in opening on the other. I'm pretty sure the 3 in opening is the inlet and the flange connects to the cat back exhaust system but I would have to crawl under my car to verify. Anyhow, what you have looks to be the right parts.

Where did you purchase the hi flow cat at?

Since my setup is without a cat right now I wonder if the 3" cat I have with the opening on both sides would be perfect (its not really a "cat back" on my car)

Thanks for your help :) ---

yeah it's all there...looks just like mine. I believe this is one of the DP's from either Jim Dunn or Steve Kaminski

So, when I install a cat I just get it welded to the end of the downpipe ... or is it better to run a little bit of 3" pipe off the downpipe THEN install the cat so I dont risk ruining the downpipe if I need to replace the cat in the future? Thanks :) ---

Hi,

Call Mufflex and speak to Denny. He will make up a 3" test pipe that is actually adjustable... He is going to ask you what type of flange you have on the front of your intermediate pipe.

Use a 3" band clamp to attach the DP to the test pipe...and bolt the test pipe to your intermediate pipe. Done.

Joe

Where did you purchase the hi flow cat at?

Since my setup is without a cat right now I wonder if the 3" cat I have with the opening on both sides would be perfect (its not really a "cat back" on my car)

Thanks for your help :) ---

I got mine from Johns Performance about 10 years ago when I bought my Terry Houston DP, neither of which are around anymore. I think you will be okay with what you have. You may need a muffler shop to connect it to your cat back or custom make one.

I added a pic of my universal 3" cat on the end of the downpipe (last pic). Its sorta loose ... welding will fix that I guess, or will a clamp be good enough so it doesnt damage the Downpipe? ---

that's how mine fits when I needed it and will work fine with a band clamp...run the nuts down with a impact wrench and you will be fine. If you ever need/want to remove it it will come right off.

Sounds good ... will I need to worry about any codes being thrown when I go to get a Turbo Tweak chip ... I dont know if the stock CAT uses any connections that wont be used with this universal CAT. He can just tune it out , right? ---